Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2007 disabling notification area

Status
Not open for further replies.

atlanticdit

IS-IT--Management
Jan 15, 2003
US
Hi,

Working with Outlook 2007 SP2 in a domained Exchange 2000 environment. We are using Windows XP SP3.

We have had some slowness on the network and one troubleshoot we tried was to disable the notification area messages in the Outlook system tray icon. After unchecking Show Microsoft Exchange Messages; Show Network Warnings; Show Network Connectivity Changes; and, Show New Mail Desktop Alert, we didn't have any network slowness issues the rest of the day. Upon booting up today and starting Outlook, all notifications besides Show New Mail Desktop Alert were checked and enabled. All the Outlook installations were done using a trial version already installed in the computer and licenses we got from Microsoft. I have read about the Office Customization Tool (OCT) but since we didn't install this through the network and don't have an Enterprise edition, it seems we can't use that.

Any input on how to permanently disable the Show Microsoft Exchange Messages; Show Network Warnings; and Show Network Connectivity Changes notifications would be very helpful. I know I can hide the Outlook System Tray but would that disable those notifications?

Thanks.

Is there a logon script involved that is pushing a default set of settings to the clients as they log in to the network... or into Exchange Server?

We map one network drive in a logon script but thats all it has and was created a good 3 years before we installed Office 2007.

There's got to be a Default settings set that is being loaded either on the machine or the Exchange server, then. I've never personally dealt with such, so I can't tell you for sure where to look on that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back