Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook (2007, 2003) slower ON my network than from outside

Status
Not open for further replies.

donb01

IS-IT--Management
Feb 20, 2006
US
This is something that's irritated me for quite some time but I've been living with it. I suppose it could also be a server issue and that's outside the scope of this forum (linux, postfix, vm-pop3d, pop-before-smtp).

I run my own mailserver, and what happens is when I'm at home, ON my wired network and outlook goes to do a send/receive it sits for several minutes checking my mail accounts on my own server. This appears to be just a receiving thing and there does not appear to be a delay sending mail. It does receive all the mail, etc, it just takes a long time doing it.

If I'm outside, like at work, or some hotel in podunk using my work computer or laptop or anything else it connects, authenticates, grabs the mail and is done just like that - same authentication process, etc. The only thing I can think of is something is handled differently when I'm in the same IP block as the server or on the same physical LAN. I don't think it's my home computer because this has happened on the one before this one too, and I don't think it's the version of outlook because it happened on both 2003, and when I got 2007 with the new computer (also XP on old and Vista on new) it does the same thing.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back