Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2003 with gmail, hotmail, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjv1611

Jul 9, 2003
US
Gmail is the best one to use with a client, such as Outlook. Yahoo Mail will not let you use Outlook, basically.. long-term unless you pay their fee. It's not a big fee, but it's still a fee vs free.

Gmail will give you the absolute most control of any "freebie" email offering - last I checked anyway.

For instance, try exporting your contacts from the other two, and see what you get. With Gmail, you can import, export, forward, whatever, to your heart's content. [smile]

I agree with kjv1611. Gmail is the only one that you mentioned that lets you use POP/IMap to access your mail via Outlook without paying a fee.

In addition Gmail fully supports iPhone and Android and provides configuration instructions, but no support, for Blackberry and other smart phones.

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read Tek-Tips posting polices before posting.
Canadian members check out Tek-Tips in Canada for socializing, networking, and anything non-technical.

Oh yeah, it's also worth mentioning. If you want to know how to set up Outlook for Gmail, Gmail gives you instructions on the page where you set the POP3 and IMAP settings.

If you just tell Outlook to autoconfigure for Gmail, it will (last I tried) set it up for IMAP. So keep that in mind in case you would rather use POP3. You'll need to manually configure Outlook for POP3, I think.

in the GMail help they have the pop settings.... Outlook 2007 and above has auto reconized the pop address settigns for me ....I agree with the other posters... GMail is your best choice. I have multiple GMail accounts being managed by my Outlook and all go into my one Inbox... Plus the feature to use the web access side of it all is smoother than their competitors in my opinion

Tom

NoCalAdmin,

You probably already realize this, but with Gmail, you can semi-manage all your accounts in one, regardless of Outlook. What I do with mine is I have all the mail from a few different accounts come through one in Gmail. That way whether I use Outlook or not, I only need to log into one account. And if I want to reply from a specific address without the "from so-and-so on behalf of so-and-so", then I specifically go use Outlook... or I have used Thunderbird for that as well... maybe the other one that looks more like Outlook, but at the moment, I'm forgetting the name of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back