Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2003 Temp folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mober

Technical User
Jul 23, 2008
US
I have a user who has a permissions problem with his Outlook 2003 temp folder. When I try to find the folder on his XP machine the folder doesn't exist, nor is there an entry in the registry. If anyone know where the Outlook folder would be please let me know, thanks?

What exactly is the problem your user is having?

I don't pretend to fully understand the mechanics but I think it is normal that you can't navigate to some places like that.

Enjoy,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to help you; help us to do it by reading this: Before you ask a question.

I'm working (slowly) on my own website

My apologies, after doing some more research this doesn't seam to be a permissions problem but a space problem. It seams the user has a lot of temp documents in his outlook temp folder. Sorry for the confusion.

The Outlook 2003 temp folder is found at C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\

The folder will be named OLK (followed by a number - i.e. OLK6). You will need to show hidden files and folders in order to see it. The easiest way to find it is to do a search of C:\Documents and Settings\username for OLK and include hidden files and folders in your search criteria.

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read Tek-Tips posting polices before posting.

And delete them! Yes those temp folders can suck up space BIG time.

Try and train users to NOT open attachments from messages. I know it is probably hopeless, but that is likely part of the problem.

"A little piece of heaven
without that awkward dying part."

advertisment for Reese's Peanut Butter Cups (a chocolate/peanut butter confection)

Gerry

I know user training is useless, why do we try anyway!

I know user training is useless...

Only too true, especially when it come to opening attachments within email. The reason that I frequently get is that they don't want to save it to disk because its easier for them to find the email than to find the file once it's saved to disk. Another excuse is that they just want to view the attachment and/or print it therefore they don't see the need to save it to disk before opening.

If only Microsoft could do a better job of clearing temp files...

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read Tek-Tips posting polices before posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back