Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2003 starts very slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

wish01

MIS
Feb 24, 2004
US
Hi,
I have a machine running Windows XP PRO and Office XP. I have upgraded Office XP to Office 2003 a few days ago.
I am working in a Windows NT4 Domain environment, with Exchange 5.5 SP4.
Now when I open Outlook 2003, the initial screen comes up but it takes like 30 seconds to show the mail boxes.
Others machines still using Office XP don’t have this problem. I looked for clues on Google but so far nothing.
Is anybody having this problem? Can you help?
Thank you in advance.
George

Please check "jcfrasco" post that I just reopened from last September (dated today, 3/26). It *may* be the same type of issue. Searched google, tech net, and tek tips to no avail. If you find anything, please post. I'll do the same and thanks!

grez

I have checked "jcfrasco" post and didn't bring any light to this problem. I didn't have problems with viruses before and I don't have any now.
I uninstalled and reinstall Office 2003, I reply all Office updates. No changes.
Anyone else having this problem? Any ideas?
Thank you

It may be that Outlook 2003 requires that you use Cached Mode to get the kind of performance you were used to having.

Hey,

I have exactly the same problem. Performace in Outlook 2003 on an NT domain running Xchange 5.5 is, to be honest, crap.

Jmsabanti rightly states that using cached exchange views does improve performance, I hate to add though, not enough!

Microsoft needs to resolve, or explain at least this issue.

Keep the post going!

Will let you know of any progress.

Regards,
Mike

I am in "cached mode" now (I wasn't before)
Outlook opens right away, but it hungs about 30 seconds with the words on the lower right corner: trying to connect.
I know is not my Exchange Server because like I said before, others machines running Office XP don't have this problem.
What else? If I find anything, I will post.
Cheers

Hi Wish01,

Have you looked at technet article 831609 (
By default, Outlook 2003 uses FQDN to resolve the Exchange Server name, however, as you are using nt4 and Ex5.5, you might not be using DNS. This article explains how you can change the default name resolution.

Alginald

DRAT - I don't have the RPC key in my registry....

?!?!!!?!?!!!? GOD DAMNIT

....any idea' why that would be?

Alginald,
BINGO!
I wasn't using DNS, I set Outlook 2003 to look for BIOS NAME - ONLY, and now it takes only 4 seconds to open.
Thaks a lot.

PS. Loaded87, if you don't see the RPC Key, create one and follow the instructions.

Cheers
George

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back