Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2003 Send Errors even with Empty OutBox 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

FSINGER

Technical User
Mar 26, 2004
US
Each time I send/receive in Outlook 2003 the program attempts to send 3 messages that don't exist (OUTBOX is empty). If I have one message, do a send/receive, I get "sending 1 of 4" then an error after the "real" message is sent. If I have no messages to send and do a send/receive I get "sending 1 of 3".

MSFT Tech support (via email) has not been able to offer a solution so far. I have tried various suggestions as they outlined, and I'm losing faith in them.

Another odd factor - this error was happening for about 3 weeks, then stopped for several days. Previously it was trying to send 1 "ghost" message (that didn't exist), now there are 3 "ghosts".

I have too much history to delete everything and start all over, but I have uninstalled and reinstalled Outlook 2003. It does not occur in Outlook Express.

The error message each time is:
Task 'email.spro.net-sending' reported error (0x800CCC0F): "the connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues . . .etc. The server responded: (here are 5 box symbols).

Thank you for any assistance.

You might try deleting the email account and re-creating it. Tools / Accounts etc.

Thank you for responding. I have done that several times, no joy.

Looks like I have a tough problem here based on the lack of responses. Oh, well, if it were easy I'd figure it out myself.

Thanks again. I've done almost everything a normal guy could think of.

Fred

I only enabled MS Messenger so I could deal with MS tech support on this problem. It was occurring long before I set up the messenger account. (and I keep it closed - not loaded).

MS Tech support has been emailing me back and forth for over 3 weeks now, they keep asking similar questions, thereby putting it off for another day. Wow, great help!

Fred

I am having the same problem. I thought mine started when a programmatic meeting notification fails to be delivered. Please post any new info as it becomes available.

Problem solved.

I removed my default pst from Outlook (control panel - mail), added a new pst and made it my default.

Restarted Outlook, the phantom messages were gone.

Then imported my old pst data into my mew pst, all is still good.

Jack

Hey! I fixed mine almost the same way. Set up a new profile and imported the old stuff. Bingo! no more phantom messages.

Still, I'd like to know what started it. Mine got up to 4 messages each time I did a send/receive.

Fred

I thank jack fot stating how he fixed this, simple but it works.

I can add how it happens, or at least how it happened to me.

I have 2 email accounts in outlook. The one I use for sending /receiving the other just for receiving. Why? Because my 2003 server doesn't forward the SSL outgoing traffic from the one account (different thread topic I suppose...) but the other account is just standard. However people still email me at both and when I reply with te SSl account (which can't send) I get messages in the outbox that can't send. When I delete them from the outbox they become ghost messages and are terribly annoying. Changing the outgoing server settings on the ssl account to use the other account didn't solve the problem, and crashed outlook when I used the test account feature with those settings.

Anyway hopefully this information is useful to somebody, I have never been on this site I found it through google.

Chad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back