Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2003 Relaying Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

solicester

Technical User
May 5, 2004
US
Using Outlook (not Express) 2003 on a home network (2 machines) with XP Pro. The machine in question is the principal machine on the network.

My ISP is optonline and my connection is by cable modem. I have always had all of my email accounts configured to use the correct SMTP server (mail.optonline.net) for outgoing mail.

I have twice verified with my ISP that they do NOT (for now) block relaying and that they do not require authentication for outgoing mail.

The problem is that randomly(of course!)when I click "Reply" and compose and send emails to any of a wide range of addresses (it's definitely not just one domain that causes the problem), I immediately receive the following (apparently) locally generated error message:

------------------------------------
Undeliverable: (no subject)

System Administrator

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: RE: (no subject)
Sent: 05/05/04 15:07

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

'Marber@aol.com' on 05/05/04 15:07
550 5.7.1 Relaying not allowed: Marber@aol.com
--------------------------------------------

I inquired of my ISP, of Zone Alarm, and of Norton Anti-virus, and their tech support reps say that this error message is not generated by their program.

I've tried to research this on the web, even on this site, and can only find explanations that presuppose the use of an SMTP server to which one is not connected. Again, this is not my problem.

I just cannot see any one feature of those email messages that bounce back that would be the clue as to why they do so.

One more thing, when the error message arrives, all I have to do is go into "Sent Mail," open the offending message, click "Resend this message" and without making any changes to it at all, it is always sent successfully???

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back