Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2003 "synchorizing folders" 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hookahmasta

IS-IT--Management
Aug 5, 2005
US
The problem is that in when receiving e-mail in Outlook 2003, it goes on a 5 second break, saying "Outlook is synchorizing its folders", basically making it unsable for the time. I've been reading around and it seems that it has to do with people that has lots of subfolders inside their inbox. It's acceptable to me, but my boss is having the problem. For him, that's not acceptable.

Sounds broke to me.
This is when receiving any email? Any size?
Any virus checkers on the desktop?

I assume your cached-mode OSTs are on the local machine.

The problem is that it's not running a cached mode OST. We are not running an Exchange server. He just has a huge PST in his Outlook. And oh yeah, don't try to talk him into deleting his old mail.... he'll have none of it.

How huge?
Where is the PST - a network drive?
What format is the PST? If ANSI, try converting it to UniCode?

Or, split/archive the PST so he has multiple ones. Maybe one called 2004, one called 2003, etc...

The PST is around 1.5 GB, and it's not on the network. My boss does not want to do archiving, since it'll separate things.....

OK Microsoft says that a .pst file cannot be over 2GB What I have found out is that anything over 1 gig is going to slow down outlook. You can use ScanPST to see if there are any problems with it .pst file. There might be some errors that ScanPST can fix. I would tell the person the create another .pst file and copy half the stff into it then run compress now. The reason for the problem is the size of the .pst file.

timgerr

-How important does a person have to be before they are considered assissinated instead of just murdered?

Another thing, remove the connection to the .pst file (DO NOT DELETE THE PST FILE) and see if the problem remains. I bet you will not see the problem. Show this to the customer and tell them that the problem is user not computer.

Timgerr

-How important does a person have to be before they are considered assissinated instead of just murdered?

1 more thing, if you have the customer move 700mb of data from 1 .pst file to another, have him do it in small increments so not to corrupt the original .pst file.

Timgerr

actually with Outlook 2003 the pst can be up to 20GB, but I personally wouldn't keep one that large. And, if you keep them under 700 MB, when your pc dies or you get a new one, you can burn them to cd easily.

I understand that the .pst can get that bit but nothing that microsft has in 1 file for the desktop should never be that large. I would hate to see a 20GB .pst file.

Actually I found out the cause.... for him, at least.

We use a CRM called Goldmine, which some of out may (or may not) be familiar with. He runs a remote version, which is based on the good ol DBF. He also runs an app that "links" any Outlook messages with the corresponding Goldmine record, and adds it according. Therefore, when any e-mail is downloaded, it looks thru the ENTIRE database, finding the my match, and adding it to the database. Needless to say, it takes a while. When I disabled the auto-linking feature, Outlook received its e-mail quite a bit faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back