Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2003 pst file 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

briansandpiper

Technical User
Oct 12, 2001
GB
I have been deleting large numbers of emails from my locally held pst file to make sure that I keep it below the 2GB limit. It had crept up to nearly 1.6GB.

However, once the delete process was completed, i ahve found that the pst file has apparently not reduced in size. I have closed outlook and ahev even shut the computer down and restarted but the file remains the same size. i am absoilutely sure that I removed at least 300Mb of files!

Does anyone have any idea what is happening?

Many thanks

Brian

As far as reducing the size, once you have done what you are doing, right click on the folder in 'folder view', select properties and look for the compression option. Compress, close, open and you should see the reduction.

As for the 2GB limit that isn't necessarily true. If the PST file is an export from a previous version of Outlook, and it was exported as a 97-2002 version, then I believe the limit still exists, however, if it is a new Outlook 2003 data file then that limit is much much higher - circa 20GB is usually banded about, but i believe that with certain tweaks it can go as high as 43 Terrabytes.

One thing to note though, the file format changed between 2002 and 2003, and whilst you can read old Outlook 97 - 2002 files in 2003, you cannot read new Outlook 2003 files in 2002. If you exported from 97-2002 version to 2003 version then I am also assuming you couldn't go backwards with it.

Regards
Ken................

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[peace]It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission[2thumbsup]
---------------- Click here to help the tsunami victims ----------------

Ken

Many thanks - that is the solution!

Interestingly, though I didn't "import" the previous Outlook .pst file - i simple told the new outlook to use it as the default pst. Will it still have it's limit?

Brian

In that case I would expect so because it must still be in the old file format and not the new unicode format.

If from OL 2003 you used File / Open / Outlook Data File then it should be in the old format

If from OL 2003 you used File / Import..... then it will probably be in the new format

Regards
Ken...........

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[peace]It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission[2thumbsup]
---------------- Click here to help the tsunami victims ----------------

When upgrading from previous versions of Outlook to Outlook 2003 it upgrades the program and leaves the PST file alone which would leave it in Outlook 97 - 2002 Personal
Folders File.

Here is how to check what version they are using:

Open Outlook
Goto Tools - Options
Click on Mail Setup tab
Click on Data Files.
Click the data file you want to check, and then click Settings.
*Check the Format field to see if it contains the string Personal Folders file or Personal Folders file (97-2002).

Personal Folders file indicates the PST is in the NEW 2003 format.

Personal Folders file (97-2002) indicates the earlier format which is compatible with all versions but has a smaller storage capacity.

Converting PST to NEW 2003 Format.

Start Outlook 2003.
In the File menu, click Data File Management, and then click Add.
Click Office Outlook Personal Folder File (PST). Click OK.
Click OK to accept the default name, and then click OK again.
Outlook 2003 now creates a new .pst file
Click Close.
At the bottom of the navigation pane, click Folder List.
In the navigation pane, you now see the new .pst file.

Drag the information from your existing Personal Folders file (97-2002) folders to the new .pst file.

OR You may also use the Import and Export Wizard on the File menu to move the information from your existing Personal Folders file (97-2002) folders to the
new .pst file.

**Note by using the import option you can break the link between custom views.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back