Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2003 Options Window too big

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimktrains

IS-IT--Management
Jan 19, 2007
US
I have Outlook 2003 SP3 running on Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition SP2. Recently I've noticed when I read an email, the From, To, CC, and Subject lines are bold. The text of the email is fine. The same thing if I compose an email. Then I went to Tools, Options and the display is bigger than the window meaning some of the buttons on the right are cut off and there's no way to scroll to the right to see them. I've searched the web and found several proposed solutions but none work. Here is what I've tried.

Checked Accessibility in Control Panel.
Checked fonts under Customize Current View in Outlook.
Opened IE, View, Text Size and set to smaller
Selected Detect and Repair in Outlook.
Rename outcmd.dat and restarted Outlook.

The items in Inbox look fine, and the text of the emails are fine. Some of the windows from the menu items look OK, but others look larger but I can see everything in them. The Options window is the only one I've seen so far that I can't view everything.

I just tried connecting to the Windows 2003 Machine with Remote Desktop as Administrator and opened Outlook and went to Tools, Options and it's fine. Then I logged in as myself with Remote Desktop and opened Outlook, Tools, Options and it looked fine there as well!! So it only seems to be doing this when I'm logged directly onto the Win 2003 server.

Ay help is much appreciated.
Jim

Jim,

On the actual machine, try changing the DPI setting for the display. It seems like Microsoft hides that setting in a different place for each version of Windows. If this setting is other than normal it tends to cause labels on buttons to be misaligned or not fit totally. Normal is 96.

This is not font size or resolution.

Lyle
----
"For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert." - Arthur C. Clarke.

It is 96. It puzzles me that other windows look fine. If I select Tools, then Customize, that window looks normal. If I select Edit, then Categories, it looks larger but I am able to view everything.

Another thing I checked that I didn't list in my original post was the Tahoma font. Replacing it didn't help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back