Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2003 functional mailbox - missing sent items 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

James99999

IS-IT--Management
Dec 22, 2002
GB
A number of people in my company have access to a functional /resources mailbox attached to their Outlook 2003. It appears that the sent item s in this functional account are disappearing on a regular basis.

I believed that one o the staff members that have access to this mailbox has a rule or archiving setup and this is moving or deleting the sent items

Does anyone know how I can trace the staff member who may have archiving or a rule setup or any utility that can help me investigate this issue?

Many thanks

As daft as it might sound, can you email the members of the security group that have access to this FMB and ask which one is doing the archiving etc? Without access to the resultant PST I can't think how else you might be able to see who is archiving off the sent items (amongst others).

I appreciate there maybe a raft of people with access but if it's anything like my place there may well only be a handfull so it wouldn't take too long to get a reply.

I used to have a handle on life... but it broke. Cpt. Red Bull

Did you find out who dunnit? Thanks for the star [smile]

I used to have a handle on life... but it broke. Cpt. Red Bull

Not to be a know-it-all, but that's not a good technical solution - that anyone can delete or archive those emails. It would be nice if the mailbox could be made READ ONLY somehow to preserve the messages for everyone without allowing anyone to modify it on purpose or by accident.

It take that back - it's a good TECHNICAL solution but a poor SOCIAL solution. In other words - add people to the mix and there goes your technical solution. It has to be "people proof".

When we encounter something like this, its hard for the end user to understand that things 'just dont disappear'. They are so sure its a networking issue and dont get that others have their hands in the mix.

I believe you can set up a rule which will make a copy and store it anywhere you want when an email is sent. I would try that. Of course dont tell them its setup.

My money is on user fault for sure.

In Groupwise, you could make the mailbox/resource Read Only so nobody could run any rules on it or do any "archiving". Too bad Outlook/Exchange doesn't have something like that - assuming that though. Don't know much about that combo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back