Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2002 running extremely slow 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

baddy

Technical User
Jul 16, 2003
US
I just got a new work PC, and it is a pretty decent setup (p4 2.6). It shipped from Dell with XP Pro SP1 & Office SB 2002/XP. While Excel and Access are running fine, Outlook is going extremely slow -- when I change messages in the Inbox, it takes ~5 seconds for the preview pane to update; double click a e-mail and it will take ~5 seconds for it to spawn the new window. Weird part is, CPU usage does not seem to spike during the delays.

I generally like to have Outlook open all day when working, but this is making it almost unusable. Anyone encountered this before?

I'm troubleshooting a similar problem and a solution that didn't help me may help you.

Make sure that Windows Messenger is turned off inside Outlook. (Tools/Options/Other)

My problem:

I have a user running OL2002 and it takes her forever to either search for a Contact's name or even to have the machine advance to a contact after clicking one of the letters on the right side of the screen. This aprticular machine is a secretary's so searching for contact info is one of the main things she does all day. It can literally take 30 seconds to jump to a letter or return a search, where it used to take 1 or 2 seconds using the same contact list with Outlook 98.

Turning off Messenger isn't my problem. It's an oldwr machine (P-III 600/256MB) but I'm not getting a spike in processor or network usage, so I don't think it's a problem with the machine keeping up.

Thanks a lot joepole, disabling Windows Messenger fixed the problem for me. It's odd that your problem sounds so similar yet the solution is different. Here are some tips I got for this problem that did not solve it for me, but may help you:

* Disable system restore and disable content indexing for the whole hard drive and reboot.

* Try the "detect and repair" from the Help menu in Outlook

And the obvious of making sure all the Office service packs and patches have been applied. Thanks again and good luck.

Actually, it turned out to be a network problem. For some reason that particular machine is running painfully slow network-wise, that's why I wasn't seeing a spike in network traffic or processor.

I fixed it temporarily by moving her PST file to the local drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back