Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2002 Network Password

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holmane

MIS
May 31, 2003
CA
The Enter network password box pops up if I leave Outlook open for an extended period of time. I have entered the correct network username and password into the account set up and have checked the save username and password box. It comes back even if I click the save username and password box on the pop up. When I first open Outlook and click send and recieve it works fine. Anyone have a fix for this problem?

Click tools-email accounts, view or change existing email accounts. Select the account, click change, then click more settings. On the security tab, there is a setting to always prompt for username/password. Make sure that is not selected. That's one thing that you should check. Let me know if that isn't the problem.

Hope that helps!

When i go to that screen I do not have a security tab. I don't connect to an exchange server. We use PINE, I am not sure if that makes a difference. Mabye it is another setting that I need to turn on to see it.

I am guessing that it is a setting that is in that area. Look around for something in that box, or in the account settings area that looks promising. I don't know the specifics of that connection so I can't help you too much on that. Let me know if you have a question on something that you find though.

I just installed Office 2003 - Student and Teacher Edition - and am getting that annoying "Enter Network Password" every few seconds. I have entered in correct info, tried cancelling out but keeps coming back. I understand its a glitch in the software, but is there a fix for it? I read the above posts on this topic and I'm in the same boat as
Holmane .... I have no 'security' setting. But I looked around and found nothing about having to enter a user/pwd other than in my dialup settings.

What can I do? Any info would be so very appreciated.

BTW -- I work at a Help Desk at an ISP, and have been unable to help customers with this problem. I need answers.... I came across this site, signed up and well, lets see how it goes....

Thank you for your time... and for putting up with me. I'm at my wits end with this.

I've tried a variety of "fixes" for the problem where Outlook XP asks for "Enter Network Password" even though the box to save the password is checked. Does anyone have another solution that might work? It only started recently.

OK guys,

i think I may have the solution for you - there are two things for you to try. This fix may well work on outlook express as well,but i don't use that rubbish so I wouldn't know ;o)

1. go to start,settings,control panel,administrative tools,services and make sure that the Protected Storage service is set to automatic and running. If it isn't then that is probably your problem...Right click on it,go to properties and set it to start up automatically and then start the service. Log back on to your outlook and once you've entered the password one time,then the problem should not happen again.

IF THAT FAILS>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Then try the following but proceed with extreme caution - registry hacking is ill-advised at the best of times, but sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do...

Anyways - here it is....

How to Back up the Registry

Windows 2000

Click Start, click Run, type regedt32 in the Open box, and then click OK.
Locate and click the following registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Protected Storage System Provider

On the Registry menu, click Save Key.
In the File name box, type a unique name for the key.
In the Save In box, click a location for the file, and then click Save.
On the Registry menu, click Exit.

Windows XP

On the File menu, click Export.
In the File name box, type a unique name for the key.
In the Save In box, click a location for the file, and then click Save.
On the Registry menu, click Exit.

How to Remove the User Account Information

Windows 2000

Quit all programs.

On the Security menu, click Permissions.
Click the registry key for the user that is currently logged on and ensure that Read and Full Control are both set to Allow.
Click the Advanced button, ensure that user that is currently logged on is selected, that Full Control is listed in the Permissions column, and that This Key and Subkeys is listed in the Apply to column.
Click to select the Reset permissions on all child objects and enable propagation of inheritable permissions check box.
Click Apply, and then click Yes when you are prompted to continue.
Click OK, and then click OK.
Double-click the Protected Storage System Provider key to expand the key, click the user subkey folder that is directly below the Protected Storage System Provider key, click Delete on the Edit menu, and then click Yes in the warning message dialog box.

The user subkey folder looks similar to the following example:
S-1-5-21-124525095-708259637-1543119021-16701

NOTE: For every identity that you have, there will be a subkey under the Protected Storage System Provider key. To resolve this problem in all of your identities, you must delete all of the user subkeys folders under the Protected Storage System Provider key.
On the Registry menu, click Exit, and then restart your computer.

Windows XP

Quit all programs.

On the Edit menu, click Permissions.
Click the registry key for the user that is currently logged on and ensure that Read and Full Control permissions are both set to Allow.
Click the Advanced button, ensure that the user that is currently logged on is selected, that Full Control is listed in the Permissions column, and that This Key and Subkeys is listed in the Apply to column.
Click to select the Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects check box.
Click Apply, and then click Yes when you receive a prompt to continue.
Click OK, and then click OK again.
Double-click the Protected Storage System Provider key to expand the key, click the user subkey folder that is directly below the Protected Storage System Provider key, click Delete on the Edit menu, and then click Yes in the warning message dialog box.

The user subkey folder looks similar to the following example:
S-1-5-21-124525095-708259637-1543119021-16701

NOTE: For every identity that you have, there may be a subkey under the Protected Storage System Provider key. To resolve this issue in all of your identities, you must delete all of the user subkeys folders under the Protected Storage System Provider key.
On the Registry menu, click Exit, and then restart your computer.
How to Re-Enter Your Password

NOTE: These steps work for both Windows 2000 and Windows XP.
Start Outlook.

NOTE: If you receive a login error, close the dialog box and proceed.
Click Tools, and then click Accounts.
Click the Mail tab in the Internet Accounts window.
In the Account column, click to highlight the Internet E-mail account to be changed, and then click Properties.
On the Server tab, type your password in the Password box, and then click to select Remember password dialog box.
Click OK, and then click Close.
Close Outlook and then restart it.
On the Tools menu, click Send and Receive to test if your password is retained.

NOTE: If other Windows 2000 or Windows XP users are having password retention problems, re-enter the password, and then click to select the Remember Password check box for those profiles. Each user may need to log on for their password to be retained.

Hope it helps you

I'm having this problem too. I have tried the steps from will2k's post and still get this annoying popup box. The only thing I have not done (as of yet) is uninstall Office and then reinstall. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to when it asks. Sometimes I can send/receive 3x before it asks -- other times I can send/receive 14 times before it asks. It's moody I guess.

Any other suggestions out there?

Thanks -
Bw

Thanks, will2k. I'd already tried the Registry approach, twice. Finally I did a combo: I did the Registry approach, deleted all my email accounts, and then did a System Restore on Windows XP back to a time when the problem hadn't yet started. Then I re-entered my email accounts. The combination of all that finally did the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back