Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2002 Issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

primetime21

Technical User
Nov 8, 2003
US
I've got an issue that has came up that I haven't found any info on yet.

My setup is: NT4 Domain with Exchange 5.5 SP4..

The problem is that my Outlook 2002 users are getting the "Outlook is retrieving data from Exchange", message box and complaining of slowness. My Outlook 2K users are working fine. Any ideas?

I've disabled the instant messaging for a few users and that helped some, but they still get the message every once in a while.

No, not all of the time
Unfortunately, it comes up while doing different things. Sometimes it will come up when going to the calendar, some times it will come up when opening up messages in the inbox (with and/or without attachments) etc.

Are you on a WAN? If so and using routers check the ping times. Try pinging the exchange server from the client machines, what sort of response times are you getting? If client machines are windows 2000, make sure you have SP4 on them and good anti virus software to prevent msblaster. The company I work for got hit badly by MSblaster, and remote sites were getting the same problem of exchange server trying to retrieve data. The virus was affecting the speed. Solution was to patch all machines.

I am having a similar problem.

Similar setup on a LAN. My problem occurs with only one user and when that user is using a network cable as opposed to wireless. Wireless works fine, but for some reason the Exchange connection is dropped after ~10 - 15 min. I can't even ping the Exchange Server; however, I can browse the rest of the network and Internet. ... I'm stumped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back