Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2002 doesnt recognize .jpg attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.

marsky

Technical User
Jan 16, 2003
US
Outlook 2002 doesn't recognize .jpg attachments. When I click on a .jpg attachment I get the message that
The systemn can not find the file specified.
What needs to be done to correct this?

Marsky

This is a File Association issue. Not a problem with Outlook. You would probably get the same error on .gif or .tiff graphic files.

This is generally caused when a graphics editor program has been removed from your computer (ie. Photo Editor). Find out what program your .jpg files are associated with and reinstall it. Alternately, you can install a program such as Windows Media Player or Photo Editor and that will establish a File Association link.

I installed Photo editor and .jpg's open. I am not sure what the original program that opened the jpg's in Outlook 2002 was because originally only the pictures opened. Now the editing program opens with the picture in it.

A am happy that the pictures now open but if you know how I can find the origianl program needed to open the jpg files for Outlook 2002, I would appreciate it.

Marsky

I don't know what the original program would have been. You would have found that information in your file associations list. On your computer, you won't be able to find that information anymore since the installation of Photo editor will have reassigned your file associations.

If you can find another computer that opens .jpg's the same way yours used to, you can check the file associations on it. Once you know what application it is, you can load that application on your computer. This should reassign the file associations to the new application.

Typically, .jpg's open with Internet Explorer but....

'cannot find the file specified' points to other problems. Can you open other types of attachments directly from an e-mail message? If you save the .jpg first, can you then open it directly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back