Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2000 Sends Email Immediately?

Status
Not open for further replies.

artpac

Technical User
Mar 9, 2003
CA
Hello all,

I recently switched to a DSL internet service. Now when I compose, reply or forward a message, the message is sent immediately when I click the message window's Send button. The message goes into the Outbox and is transmitted immediately to my ISP outgoing mail server.

I would like messages I send to stay in the outbox until I manually hit Send/Recieve button in the Outlook main window, or when the the mail is scheduled to be sent and received. Currently I have Outlook E-mail settings set to check my network connectionss every 20 minutes. It worked okay when I was using Dial-up. I lost this functionality with the network DSL connection. How come, and how can I fix it?

Thanks in advance for your response,
Paul

Hello,

See whether this work :

Goto Tools > Options, the 2nd tab, and look for mail option, you should see your Internet Account. Uncheck it and then close and relogon again.

All your outgoing emails should now stay in your outbox.
The downside to this setting is that you have to click on "Send/Receive" button everytime you want to receive anything.

Hope this work for you!

I tried your suggestion, unchecking the account under 'Mail options'. Then I closed and restarted Outlook 2000. Composed a new test message and clicked send, and the message still leaves the outbox in a flash.

I guess I can forget about making any revisions to a message after sending it because it doesn't stay in the outbox for any length of time.

Maybe there's something else to try?

Thanks in advance for your response,
Paul

ARtpac not too sure what you are trying to achieve but how about saving a composed email as draft and then sending when ready.

Hi there, I use this feature from time to time. I have adsl at home, email configured on 2-3 computers, including OE and Outlook 2000.

I just had another go to make sure it works; switched from one config to the other several times, and the following works with Outlook 2000:

Tools--Options--Mail Delivery--Mail Account Options--uncheck "Send messages immediately when connected". Decide how often to check for new messages...Click "Apply" and it works straight away.

M

Just saw stressed's reply....Of course, "saving" messages in the Outbox in case you want to make changes is not a good idea anyway. That's when it should be saved as a draft, as Stressed says.
M

I do use the draft folder occasionally for messages in progress, but sometimes, you must know how it is, you suddenly have a desire to check or change a message after hitting Send. I was looking for some technical advice on how to resolve the immediate clearance of the outbox when I’m using a hi-speed DSL internet connection, not a procedural workaround.

Note that I use Outlook configured in the Corporate and Workgroup mode. After further study and experimentation on my part I have resolved the problem. My OL2000 now transmits mail from the outbox only when I hit the Send/Receive button in Outlook’s main window, or when it is scheduled to check the network connection as set under Options-Internet connections-Check my network connection(s) for new mail every [__] minute(s). In my case, 20 minute intervals.

What did I do?

a) I went to Options-Services and opened the Properties of my Internet E-Mail service.
b) In the Properties Connections tab, I changed from ‘Connect using my local area network’ to ‘I establish my internet connection manually’
c) OK’d out of the Mail Services, closed and restarted OL2000.
d) Went to Tools-Options-Internet Email tab. Selected only the following check boxes:
- Check my network connection(s) for new mail every [20] minute(s).
- Check Internet Explorer or third part dialer connections

Success! My mail now departs Outlook 2000 like it did when I was using a dial-up connection. I have more control and a second chance to edit my outgoing messages if desired.

Thanks for your input folks!

Paul (artpac)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back