Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OUTLOOK 2000 password?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CC21

IS-IT--Management
Jul 1, 2003
US
Hello everyone,
I have a user who would like to know whether or not they could password protect a particular folder within an Outlook mailbox. I am guessing this would contain all personal emails whatever they may be. Doing a little research I am close to saying "no, it cant be done" but I wanted to ask the lot of you beforehand.

Thanks

If you are using Outlook with Exchange Server, then you can give permissions per folder which user shares.
I assume your user is sharing mail folder since he/she wants to protect some contents in the folder.

Basically, right-click the folder and go to properties. There you will find permissions tab.

It is usually set not to be shared by default

actually this user wants to prevent her mail from being read if she is not directly at her workstation

I understand what you are saying about the Permissions but it would appear as if the user would like some kind of message prompting for a password before the folder can be accessed.

I have never seen any such thing and doubt there is one, but I just wanted to confirm with other Tekkers.

Thank You

Thats where CTRL+ALT+Delete comes in handy.

Tell her to get used to using it.

I think you can change where the new mail is delivered, possibly to a password protected PST (Personal STorage) file on the workstations local drive.... but this may be overkill. I use a screen saver with password and a short timeout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back