Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2000 hanging on close/ How can I fix this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

atxross

MIS
Aug 19, 2002
US
I have a few users who can only close out of outlook by CTRL+ALT+DELETE and ending the service. Otherwise it just hangs on the closing prompt. Any I ideas how this can be fixed? I rebuilt their outlook profile, uninstalled and reinstalled.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Have you tried running Detect and Repair? Have you searched the MS KB using "Outlook hangs on shutdown" to see the articles which MAY apply to you?

Try this:
Go to Tools_Options and then click the Other tab.
Click the Advanced Options button and then click the Add-in Manager button.
Uncheck the NetFolders options if it is listed.
Click OK until the options dialog boxes are all closed.
Exit Outlook and restart your computer.

If still no luck, refer to ms article 196366.

Hope that helps.

Firm.

Thanks all, I did do all of the above, some references in the KB didn't apply. However, Outlook still hangs does anybody have any other ideas as to why this may still do so? It's Outlook 2000 on a P4 2.8 ghz laptop, WinXP OS. I can only close it by ending the process in task manager. I appreciate everyones help

Try re-installing?

"It's about the journey and not the destination" - The quote of those who never make it

That's the easy way out, there's a solution to all problems. The problem lies within exchange. The user is a VP with over 3 gigs of email. The Net admin is taking care of it. Thanks all.

Did the NetAdmin actually figure out this issue yet? I cannot get it figured out. This user only have 128mb of email, thats why I do not understand why this is still doing it. I have already reinstalled outlook 2000 on her PC and she logged onto another PC and it did the same thing? Any other ideas?
-JT

Yes, it's definitely a corruption within the user mailbox on the exchange server. The uninstall and reinstall of OL2000 doesn't fix it.

There is a utility within exchange called "exmerge". this utility copys the data within the corrupt mailbox and saves it. Then delete the mailbox and recreate. Once the mailbox has been recreated, copy the data back to the newly "recreated" mailbox. This solved the problem for 3 people who had the same problem. Turns out the problem was; they received msaction pack and installed outlook 2003. This was hosing our exchange server so we tracked them down and removed it. We backed OL2003 out of the users local ws and when they went back to use OL2000 they found it would hang on close. So essentially this hosed their mailbox on exchange. Hope this helps

Just tested a post I found about this. It seems that if a mailbox is opened with the Outlook 2003 client software, it changes the Free/Busy Scheduling settings for the mailbox. (Can't be changed back). I opened a mailbox with the 2000 client, closed it and no problems. I went to another machine that has Outlook 2003 installed and opened the same mailbox and closed it, no problems. Went to the origional machine with the Outlook 2000 client, opened the mailbox and closed it. It hung on "Please wait while Microsoft Outlook Closes". Opened from another Outlook 2000 Client and it has the same problem. I don't know if the Post Service Pack 3 Fix in MS Article 834005 corrects the Free/Busy Scheduling issue or not. But I can replicate the issue by opening a mailbox with an Outlook 2003 client. I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back