Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2000 Freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beretta22

Technical User
Aug 20, 2002
US
I searched for this problem but could not find anything. Apologies if I missed it.

Outlook 2000 freezes when I open and all I get is the splash screen. I am running Win98 2nd edition. 256K of RAM. 500 MH speed. IE Explorer 5.5

I tried everything possible: Repair tool, scan disk, defrag, Spy Bot, Norton Anti Virus checker (up to date) and a multitude of other things. Strange thing is that after a few days or so, it repairs itself and is good for another few days. Then, AGAIN, back to freezing for no apparent reason. NO changes made to anything.

I havent recently installed anything. I get the idea that there must be some sort of software conflict with Outlook 2000 but I havent a clue what it would be. (No error messages) Even when I re-boot and try opening Outlook again, it just sits there laughing at me.

Any advice would be greatfully accepted... Thanks!!!

Is this Outlook for the Corporate Workgroup environment or for Internet Mail Only? Have you tried using a new personal folder?

A suggestion is when it locks up try using the /safe switch to open Outlook and see if you can get past this. If you still get locked up then the issue will be more than likely a personal folder issue. If it goes through then perhaps and add-on you have in Outlook may be the issue.

joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

Hi Joegz,
Thanks for your reply. This is on a stand alone computer at home. I havent tried the personal folder yet. But I will. I hadnt thought of trying to open is safe mode. Good idea, thanks. I dont have any add ons that I can think of. One thing though. I tried to open Outlook today and it took almost 10 minutes for the splash screen to open. then maybe another 5 for a contact to open from the contact list. But after it did. Everything seems to work fine. Now in a few days, that could all change.... weird huh?

there could be some corruption in pst file. Try using
utility provided in outlook 2000 to repair the folder.

This kind of thingh usually happens if the computer gets switched off, while you were using outlook and the size of pst file is quite big (500 mb and beyond)

This morning I used the Detect/Repair tool and it seems to be working ok. However, I wont know for sure until a few dyas have passed. But I have a feeling that al will be fine.

A few days ago I used the Repair Office off the install disc. That didnt work. I dont know how I missed the repair tool in Outlook itself. Many thanks to you all for the help.

Well after a few days it crashed again. This time I got an error message. It was a problem with DEVDTCT2 exeption in 03H and KERNALL32.DLL I never got this message before. I did a search for this and found that it was related to software I installed maybe 2 years ago (Olympus digital recorder). It said that this was a major cause of problems with Outlook and also caused system crashes. I unistalled it and am hoping for the best. I got a good feeling about it now. Thanks to everyone for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back