Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2000 crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

robert04

MIS
Jan 20, 2004
US
I'm having a situation where Outlook 2000 is crashing on a lot of my user's computers. When they change the view by selecting View > Current View > By Sender, a message box comes up that says "Outlook cannot display the view". When they click OK, Outlook just exits.

They are all viewing a shared mailbox. However, some of the workstations aren't having the problem.

I've gone in and tried to reset the view on a couple of them, but that doesn't work.

I've tried deleting and recreating the mailbox, with no luck either.

Any ideas?

Try starting Outlook in safe mode and try changing views etc. Post the result in your thread.

Here is some info on starting Outlook in safe mode:

MORE INFORMATION
To use command-line switches, follow these steps:
Click Start, point to Find, and then click Files Or Folders.

On Windows 2000 and Windows Millennium Edition (Me), click Start, point to Search, and then click For Files Or Folders.
Type Outlook.exe in the Named box, and then click Find Now.

On Windows 2000 and Windows Me, type Outlook.exe in the Search for files or folders named box, and then click Search Now.
Note the path to the Outlook executable file as viewed under In Folder and write it down for reference. For example, the file may be located in the path:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Outlook.exe

On the File menu, click Close.
Click Start, and then click Run.
Type the whole path noted in step 3, including the file name, press SPACEBAR, and then type a forward slash mark ("/") followed by the switch.
For example, if you want to use the Safe switch, the command line in the Open box should read:
"c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Outlook.exe" /safe

NOTE: The advantage of this method is that you do not have to go back and remove the command-line switch from the path of the shortcut. Additionally, the full path needs to be in quotation marks to preserve long file names. Command-Line switch Purpose
------------------- -------

/CleanFreeBusy Cleans and regenerates free/busy information.

/Cleanfinders Removes saved searches from the Exchange
Server store.

/CleanReminders Cleans and regenerates reminders.

/CleanViews Restores default views.

/CheckClient Prompt for default manager of e-mail,
news, and contacts

/Recycle Starts Outlook using an existing Outlook
window, if one exists.

/ResetFolders Restores missing folders for the default
delivery location.

/ResetOutlookBar Rebuilds the Outlook Bar.

/Nopreview Turns off the Preview Pane and removes the
option from the View Menu.

/CleanSchedPlus Deletes all Schedule+ data (free/busy,
permissions, and .CAL file) from the server
and allows the free/busy information from the
Outlook Calendar to be used and viewed by all
Schedule+ 1.0 users.

/Safe Launches Outlook without extensions, preview
pane or toolbar customization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search