Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook - 2 different questions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sagittarius

Technical User
Mar 15, 2003
AU
1. I am running Outlook (XP) at home and want to create a rule, similar to the leave on server option in Outlook Express. Is that possible?
2. At work I use Outlook 2000 and want to create a separate identity, similar to Outlook Express, so nobody using the computer can access my mail, as it's not permissible to create a separate windows user login.
thanks in advance

1:)

the setting to leave messages on the server is located in your account properties and is related to pop3 mail so is independant of the different versions of outlook/outlook express.

i think the location may have changed and i don't use xp much but it will be in there somewhere

2:)

you can password a .pst (personal folder file) don't know if this will work for your everyday personal folders where your mail comes in but you could create an additional one then drop items into it for safe keeping, you can encrypt the password and it's enuff to keep most people at bay.

each time you open outlook you would be prompted for the password to the personal folder. It's not exactly subtle.

:)

all i ask is that you let me know if this works or not.

No Pain No Gain

I'm currently using the 2000 version of Outlook at work and can't find anywhere where I can set a password for my pst?

you see the password option when you export items into a .pst. it gives you the option of a password before you move items into it.

not sure if you can set one on an existing .pst.

try exporting items into a seperate pst

No Pain No Gain

leave message on server: tools>view or change an existing email acct>next>highlight account you want>change>more settings>you will find it under the advanced tab.

many thanks mhughes ... I'm sure I must've been there in my searching, but have completely overlooked that option :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back