Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outllok 2000 -> Exchange 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

leighturner

Technical User
Aug 23, 2004
GB

Hi all,

We have Exchange server 2003 and the clients are retrieving their mail using Outlook 2000 SP3.

The problem that clients are currently experiencing is that emails are not retrieved straight away unless the client clicks on another folder and then back to their inbox when the new mail appears.

Hope someone will be able to help on this one!

Leigh

Leigh D Turner (BSc)

Are the clients past a router? If so, make sure UDP packets are not being filtered out. The new mail notification is a UDP packet.

If you have all the CALs for Exchange 2003, why not upgrade them to Outlook 2003? It's FREE.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

Clients are not past a router.

I should of mentioned this before, the mail does eventually arrive by it self but it arrives quicker if you hit onto another folder first.

Not sure on the CALs will have to look into this.

Leigh D Turner (BSc)

It sounds like your synch time is not set correctly. Your Outlook server should be set to synch at a repeated time or continually. Your Outlook server sounds like it is updateing every 5-10 min. When you click on another folder your telling your client to synch with the server. The equivalence of hitting F9.

The only other option is your client is working Offline, and it resynch when you change folders, or when the Server sends to it.

Hope this explaination is good.

When you're using Outlook 2000 directly via Exchange, Exchange is responsible for notifying the clients that there is new mail. Not the other way around.

If you're using POP3, then the client checks.

Thanks for the reply's so far people.

Where can I check to the settings to synch at a repeated time or continually.

I tried this and hitting the F9 key seems to receive the mail.

Leigh D Turner (BSc)

F9 queries the server, which tells it that there is new mail. If you have your account setup as an Exchange Server account, the client can't check the server at set intervals, since the server is what does the notification. The clients can't (disclaimer about Outlook 2003 in Cached mode applies).

There's a different issue here, and that needs to be addressed.

Now - I'm making the following assumption:
You are logged onto the same AD domain as the one holding Exchange.

Outlook is configured to connect via MAPI, and not POP3 or IMAP4.

I am logged onto the same Active Directory domain.

Outlook is configured via MAPI.

Thanks..

Leigh D Turner (BSc)

I'd be curious as to if the problem would go away if you upgraded one machine to Outlook 2003. You have received a CD with it when you purchased Exchange.

The issue I was originally thinking of is:

You cannot receive new e-mail notifications in environments that use the Network Address Translation in Outlook 2002

and

You cannot receive a new e-mail notifications in Outlook 2000 when you use the Network Address Translation

but you might look at

Windows XP-based clients do not receive "new mail" notification messages after you install Service Pack 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back