Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outer Join?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanCCC

Technical User
Aug 9, 2002
US
I'll try to be succinct here.

I work in a department tracking Donors and Gifts (donations).

I have a table of Donors, who are linked to a table of Gifts. Those Gifts are given to various Accounts.

These Donors are assigned to Caseloads via a unique number.

I represent a subset of a large organization, so one of my reports (we'll call it Report #1) shows Donors who have given to the Accounts in which I'm interested, and their Gifts. Easy.

I also easily created a report (#2), selecting by Caseload, listing all the Donors, whether or not they've given.

Here's the tricky part: I need to create a report, showing all Donors belonging to a Caseload, and their Gifts to OUR Accounts only, as well as the Donors who have *Never* given to these Accounts (they may have given to other Accounts).

If I use the selection criteria of Report #1, only the Donors who actually gave a Gift show up. (And I want to see them all.)

If I use the selection criteria of Report #2, I see all the Donors belonging to the Caseload, and I see all their gifts to ALL the Accounts. But I only want to see the gifts to our Accounts.

Someone told me I need to create on Outer Join. Can anyone show me how to pull this off?

Thanks,

Dan Lee

In Crystal Reports... click on the Table Linking Icon.

then click on the link between your two tables. Then click on Link properties.

it's in there.

Mannga,

Thanks - I am now looking at the "Visual Linking Expert" with a thing like this (I've re-named the tables to use the terms I used before):

DONORS GIFTS
xxx ---> xxx
xxx xxx
xxx xxx

I right-click on this link and chose Right outer join - [(+)=,=*], and it returned exactly the same records. I tried the left join, same thing.

Having changed the link, do I also need to change my selections then?

Thanks,

Dan

The Outer Join results in donors with no donations having Null account information.
Those records then fail the account selection criterion.

You can use a subreport to return only the non-donors or use a UNION to combine donors and non-donors.

There's a 3rd, potentially simpler, approach but I'm not 100% sure it would work. E-mail me (ixm7@psu.edu) if you want to test it.

Cheers,
- Ido CUT, Visual CUT, and DataLink Viewer:
view, e-mail, export, burst, distribute, and schedule Crystal Reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back