Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outer Join Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

claudermilk

Technical User
Oct 28, 2004
US
I'm completely out of ideas on this one & it seems like it should be easy. The data I am looking at is:

Table #1 Salesperson
salesperson ID

Table #2 Sales order
date
sales order number
salesperson ID

the join is: Left Outer Join salesperson on salesperson.id = sales order.id

This results in:

salesperson sales order
A 1
A 2
B 3
C 4
D 5

I then want to apply a date filter to look at YTD only and if order 4 is from last year, I expect to see:

salesperson sales order
A 1
A 2
B 3
C null
D 5

but what I get is:

salesperson sales order
A 1
A 2
B 3
D 5

This example is a cut-down query I'm using to test for a much more complex set of unioned saved views. I would expect once this test set works I can transfer the same logic over.

Where you placed date filter? In WHERE clause or LEFT OUTER JOIN clause?

------
"There's a man... He's bald and wears a short-sleeved shirt, and somehow he's very important to me. I think his name is Homer."
(Jack O'Neill, Stargate)
[banghead]

It's in the where clause. To complicate things, I am grabbing the last 3 years' worth of data, then in Crystal Reports knocking it down to one year. I'm hoping this won't cause more problems; it seems that filtering is internal to the Crystal app.

The SQL looks like this:

Where Year(date) = Year(GetDate()) - 2

Move this condition to LEFT OUTER JOIN:
Code:
 Left Outer Join salesperson on salesperson.id = sales 
	[b]AND Year(date) = Year(GetDate()) - 2[/b]
What happens?

------
"There's a man... He's bald and wears a short-sleeved shirt, and somehow he's very important to me. I think his name is Homer."
(Jack O'Neill, Stargate)
[banghead]

I get a whole bunch of null salesperson.id and still no results of the id with a null sales order. It seems to be exactly the opposite of what I'm looking for.

I'm feeling much like your signature emoticon right now.

Hold that thought. I went back & tried from scratch. THe exact SQL tried was:

Code:
SELECT dbo.SalSalesperson.Salesperson, 
             dbo.SorMaster.SalesOrder, 
             dbo.SorMaster.EntrySystemDate
FROM         dbo.SalSalesperson LEFT OUTER JOIN
             dbo.SorMaster ON dbo.SalSalesperson.Salesperson = dbo.SorMaster.Salesperson and Year(dbo.SorMaster.EntrySystemDate) = Year(GetDate())
Order BY dbo.SalSalesperson.Salesperson

and it did work! Now, in the actual query I will be using there's a few other where clauses I need to use--do those all have to be within the Left outer join clause?

OK, taking that and playing with it a bit in Enterprise Manager and Query Analyzer, I now have the real query working as expected! For whatever reason, Enterprise Manager switched join to a Right Outer and moved that join with the contstraints to the end; now it works. In the end lookng at it, it is indeed stupidly simple.

Thanks for the help. Now to make sure I can get all the queries working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back