Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outer join box disabled

Status
Not open for further replies.

naga5566

Technical User
Mar 14, 2003
US
Hello Everybody,

I am new to BO 6.5 .
The problem i have is when i am not able to create outer join, since the outer join check box is disabled.I also changed the Ansi92 to Yes in the Parameter Tab.But still i am not able to create.
Does any idea ,why this happens.
Thanks
Vijay

Hi All,
I managed to get the check box enabled.I have a new problem now.

When i check(select) left outer join box in designer and generate a report,the sql is created as right outer join.
I tried different options changing the parameter settings but still could not help it.

If it is confuing ,let me make it clear.
In designer

Table 1 Table 2
Outer join(checked) Not checked.

Based on the above ,usually the query should generate like
select Table1.col1,Table2.col2 from Table1 left outer join Table 2 on table1.colA=table2.colA

Instead it generated like this

select Table1.col1,Table2.col2 from Table1 Right outer join Table 2 on table1.colA=table2.colA

Does any one know how to get the right thing.Ofcourse in order to get the desire result i am forced to check the right outer join box(which create left outer join syntax)

Thanks
Naga

I believe this is a known issue with generating joins with SQL Server.

Steve Krandel
VERITAS Software

you need a file - which I havent got on me at the moment that tells BO to use the SQL Server syntax for the join - I have a copy in work and will send it to you tomorrow if you post your email. This will also correct any other SQL inefficicncies BO has in creating SQL to send to SQL Server.

[bandito] [blue]DBomrrsm[/blue] [bandito]

Skrandel/DBomrrsm,

Is this a defect in BO 6.5 ?
How ever i can get the desired result using the outer joins,
like if i need left outer join,i check the right outer join box and viceversa.I know this is not the right thing but cant help it since it gives me the correct result.Also are there any other things that i would need to focus on while working with Sqlserver ?

DBomrrsm
It would be great if you could send me the file and instructions to vsandena@yahoo.com

Thank you all for the great feedback.

naga

sorry I forgot when I posted that I am on training all this week - I will email you the file as soon as I am back in next monday.

naga5566

Just emailed you the file - hope it helps - sorry took so long incurred an accident after training and only got back into office today.

Dbomrrsm,

Thanks for send me the file.The file you have sent me works with BO 5.x From version 6 ,all the prm files have been moved to XML format and hence i did not run the file you send me.However i made to the changes to the prm file (XML) and is working fine.Tons of thanks for taking time and responding to my thread.
Take care.

any chance you can send me a copy of the prm file (XML) for when we upgrade to 6 so I dont have the sam problems.

cheers and I am glad I could help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back