Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outcalling - Pager Messaging R7

Status
Not open for further replies.

cubla

MIS
Dec 23, 2002
US
Ok, customer has setup outcalling on a mailbox to signal his pager, but it isn't working. I'm supposed to go over in the morning and look at it. Anybody have in experience they'd like to throw my way...something to check or watch out for that always causes problems? Outcalling is enabled, number entered, message is left but nothing happens. Now, I believe I read where the VM uses the last port for outcalling, am I supposed to somehow tell it to pick up dial-tone or anything for this to work?

The outcalling number must start with 9*. Voice mail ports always access Intercom first, so 9 gets an outside line, * pauses for 1.5 seconds before dialing, to allow for the dial tone to connect.

Pagers are finicky. The paging service ususally uses inward DID trunks, and the number of rings before answering can sometimes vary. You must dial the pager number, wait for the service to answer, and then input the number to be displayed. You will put in something like 9*5551212*****12#, to get dial tone, wait, call the pager, wait, put in 12 to be displayed.

Play with the pauses between the pager number and the display number. Not enough pauses will cause it to put in the display number before the service is ready. Too many pauses will make the service time out before the number is input.

I personally use 9*5551212*12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12#

This makes me get a display of anything from 12 to 1212121212121212, but anything tells me to call in and check for messages.

Finally, do you have a butt set? Monitor the line as it outcalls, so you can hear the timing, and adjust as needed.

Thank You!

I do have a butt set so I'll try that as well. However, I did not know the 9* so I'm sure that's it.

You rock!

I wish the Partner voice mails had a wait for voice or wait for tone parameter(token programming) to set in the outcalling number. It makes things so much easier, especialy when you have different pager companies for different users pagers. It also makes the press 5 in some cell phone VM prompts to send numeric page easily activated.

You do not always get what you pay for, but you never get what you do not pay for.

Cubla,
To add to what TTT has said, find out if the pager you are using is a 1-800 number with a pin# to page the unit. If so it would look like this: 9* the pager# then 9 pauses the pin# 9 Pauses then the number you want sent to the pager. I use 9 pauses because some pagers have a voice promt that asks what yoiu want to do.

9*18002223333*********1234567*********5555555

Cubla,
Did you get your outcalling issue solved? I am also having issues with setting up outcalling to a pager. I have tried the different configurations. We had a Partner Mail VS 5 and upgraded to Partner Messaging release 7. I had it setup as 9*4103333333******21#, Mail VS 5 and it worked, this does not work with rel. 7. Is there any other things I could try or check?

if you are dialing ten digits, do you need a 1 in order to dial? If it is lomg distance you may. You might also check your VM ports to make sure they are not restricted from making outgoing calls. Outcalling needs to be activated for the VM box as well.

A good tool is to watch the line buttons to see which line it is using to call out on, then plug into the line and monitor the call with a test set. You can then eavesdrop on the outcalling dialing sequence, and see where it is hanging up in the process. A test set phone, or a line cord with a splitter will let you plug in any analog phone while keeping the line still plugged in to the phone system.

You do not always get what you pay for, but you never get what you do not pay for.

9*4103333333******21#

Do you need a "1" before the area code there?

Do you have a butt set to monitor the dialing, and see why the call fails?

Just went through another thread, where the touch tones that the Partner Messaging was generating would not break the dial tone from the telephone company, although the Partner phones worked just find. The quick and dirty solution there was to put the number in a system speed dial, and make the outcalling number #600 (trigger to dial speed dial 600 from a S/L phone)

TTT has a good idea, it worked for the guy in the other thread.

Thanks, for your responses.
We do not need a 1 before pager #. I made sure that there were no restrictions via #302, #401 or #405. I had outcalling turned on. I will try using a butt set. I will also put the pager #'s in a system speed dial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back