Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outbound Caller ID information PRI & IPO

Status
Not open for further replies.

BURLYMAN

IS-IT--Management
Aug 19, 2002
US
What exactly can the IPO provide for caller ID information on a PRI? I know that the digits can be maniplulated to reflect whatever you want as far as the number is concerned but can the IPO provide name information? For example, lets say that I have extension 3301 and the name on the extension is "RECEPTIONIST". If I configure the IPO to send 800-111-3301 it will pass this over the PRI to the destination caller but what about the name? Is this even possible? Are there PRI configurations from the provider to allow for this? In addition (if this is not possible), if I have multiple businesses using the same PRI circuit and I request different DID groups - is it possible to have the PRI provider append the different business names based on the IPO digit information that I pass? Lets say I have "ABC" Company that has different divisions (Steel Division, Mechanical Division, etc...) Can I request DID group 3300-3310 to display ABC Steel and DID gropu 3311-3320 display as ABC Mechanical? This would only be if the IPO is unable to pass caller name.

Burlyman
In the US i do not think you can control the name. i have been told it is illeagal but i have never seen it in writing. i think it has to do with 911. i am not sure you are in the US. I am have the same issue that you speak of right now. We have 4 different companies on 1 PRI. These companies compete against each other so name is a very big deal. we have asked the provider to take the name off the PRi completely. so that the call should come thru with number and no name. If there is a way to do the name someone will know it here.

I understand CID Name is stored in LEC database's. When a number is passed through the network, the call is tagged with the name that matches the caller ID number.

The reason for my explanation is; I worked with a customer who had the wrong name showing on CID when calling to a specific region (i think it was the Carolina's). We found the LEC did not have his name updated in their database.

I have a customer with a PRI set up in a multi-tenant enviornment and the LEC (local phone company) was able to send a unique business name out based on the number we sent to the LEC. e.g. when we sent out the main listed number on the PRI as well as the DID's provisioned for the main company, the main company's name accompanied the call. When we sent out unique DID numbers for additional tenants, the LEC was able to manipulate the name to the business name we required. You are at the mercy of your LEC, no doubt. Hopefully they can help, but there is no way to send name info out of the IP Office, only number (and it requires PRI).

You must have your phone service provider update the outgoing caller id name. I'm in the situation where 3 small companies share the same PRI, so I had BellSouth update the name information for the different DIDs and then set the outgoing number using a shortcode so that each company's name is correct.

Simply put, the Avaya system controls the outgoing number, but has no control over the name. You have to have the phone service provider set those up for the different numbers your system sends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back