Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outbound Caller ID Causing Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

saexpress

IS-IT--Management
May 27, 2004
US
IP Office 403, 24-trunk PRI.

A few days ago I modified our outbound-dial shortcode so that it would send each user's DID number out. This seemed to work fine, but today I found out that we can't call some numbers, so far it's only a few 800 numbers. When dialed, all we'll get is a fast busy signal. Here's what I've got for outbound shortcodes:

SecondaryDialTone

[9]N;
Ns14065559E
Dial3K1

Both of those are default shortcodes, I just added the "s14065559E" bit on the end like it suggests doing in the IP Office manual. The E should be replaced with the user's 3-digit extension, and this does work for most phones with Caller ID. I've been testing it with a cellphone I've got sitting here with no problems, and if I remove the "s..." suffix from the number then all calls go through just fine.

Any idea why this would be causing a problem for some (so far only 800) numbers?

Also, what's the difference between just "Dial" and "Dial3K1"? What's the SecondaryDialTone used for?

Thanks!

Drop the 1. Ie. use Ns4065559E instead of Ns14065559E

The reason is that 800 numbers check the area code you are dialing from, in case the owner of the number only wants to accept callers from the same state, or country. It doesn't like that 1.

Pretty sure that will take care of it. Let us know how it goes.

Peter

Hey, nice!

That did it, thanks!

Just out of curiosity, do you know anything about my related questions, or maybe someplace I can go to get detailed info on the different Feature codes such as Dial, Dial3K1, etc.?

Thanks again.

Dial will make a simple speach call that can be routed across any circuit
dial 3k1 demands a beter quality call & must be routed 100% digital, this has caused problems with some lcr companies woh do not accept 3k1 calls as follows:-

call arives (usualy from mobile) as 3k1 call & attempts to divert of switch. Ipo attempts to forward call as 3k1 & fails due to the LCR company not accepting the call.

solution force all outbound calls to DialSpeach.

I have found (here in north america) that I must set international calls to dial instead of dial3k1. Never heard of any problems dialing 3k1 within NANPA, but doesn't mean they can't occur. Internationally it seems to only be certain countries that won't route 3k1 calls.

Apparently in some countries you will be billed less for dialing 3k1 calls - the carrier treats them as data instead of voice can charges a lower rate.

Bottom line, I agree with IPGuru just use dial.

Peter

Thanks, that's good information to know.

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back