Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Out Post digits thru PBX 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForumUser01

Technical User
Oct 16, 2009
US
Hi,

We have a Avaya Definitiy system (8500 activing as ESS). We are planning to move the system to new location. The carrier at new location asking 'how many outpost digits' set in the current PBX (4 or 7 or 10). Is there any command to check that? Whwn I dial outside number from that PBX, the entire number displays in caller ID. Please sugest.

Thanks in advance
MS

I think the LEC is asking "how many outpulse digits", as in how many digits do you want to receive on calls to your PBX for DID service. Normally this would be the same number as your station dial plan. That way you don't have to make modifications to the incoming digit string, it's just the station number. So, if your stations are XXXX you would want them to outpulse 4 digits. If your stations are XXXXX you would want them to send you 5 digits.

I think 5essfun is right. The number of digits your are sending to the CO is what ever you are dialing so this will varry depending on the dialing rules in your area (7 digit or 10 digit) or it the number is domestic long distance or international etc. When they say outpulse, they mean outpulsing from the CO switch so that is what your PBX receives (inbound digits to you). What is your extension length in your dial plan? That is what they need to know to make it easy on your side. If you have 5 digit extns, they will send you 5 digits so you won't need to manipulate anything in your switch.

Thank you Both.Our internal digit ext :4. Infact the carrier called back y'day asking 'Inpost digits'. I gave it as 10, but they did not yet touch back on outpost. I will wait for their query again.

Thanks
MS

Just to add: This is commonly known as your DNIS. "Dialed Number Information Service".

If you are curious as to how your switch is currently configured:
cha incoming trunk XX (XX=Trunk Group number)

change inc-call-handling-trmt trunk-group 1 Page 1 of 30
INCOMING CALL HANDLING TREATMENT
Service/ Number Number Del Insert Per Call Night
Feature Len Digits CPN/BN Serv
public-ntwrk 10 6
public-ntwrk 4 0148 4 1825
public-ntwrk 4 1143 4 1825

that's a simple excerpt from ours. Some are dirtier than others, some are completely empty.

This switch receives full 10 digit numbers from the CO via Trunk Group 1 (3 T1's). I instructed it to strip (delete) 6 digits, and insert none. This then takes that 10 digit number...

123-456-7890

and cuts off the first 6 digits.
123456 --> 7890

Now extension 7890 will be the destination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back