Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

out of the ordinary install...

Status
Not open for further replies.

alienated1

IS-IT--Management
Dec 1, 2005
US
i have a domain that holds all of my user accounts.
i have another domain that holds my echange server.
each of these domains are in separate forests.

the server im using runs server 2003 and exchange 2003 and is a domain controller. it allso is the only computer account{domain controller account} in that domain. i have set up the trust relationships and they work as i can view this server from the domain holding my user accounts. i have ran domain prep and forest prep on the exchange 2003 server. no errors listed in the event viewer, so im guessing all is correct.
if im understanding this all right, my next step is to create user accounts in the domain that holds my exchange server and then disable them. these accounts supposedly will create the mail boxes i need for my users, in the user accounts domain.
my question is, exactly how do i get the accounts in the user domain to map to the disabled user accounts in the exchange domain, or vise versa? do i need to run domain and forest prep in the user domain also?
another question i have is actually setting up the exchange server to host the external email. if i have this right, all i have to do is kill our email service providers account and then have a DNS registrar create the appropriate MX record that will be matched with one of our external IP addresses. the exchange 2003 part seems to be self explaintory as the option to host external email is in the mnagement console for exchange. direction of any type will be most welcome!
hopefully some one can help me out here. i have posted this same message in 3 other forums with no direction what so ever.
thanks in advance for any help, direction or thoughts anyone might have on the matter.
AJ "the alienated1

What is the reason for the "split" domain/forest setup?

As a rule of thumb, One Exchange Organization per AD Forest is possible. It should be easier to configure the Exchange server in the AD domain where the users are.

About your external mail :
your suggestions are correct; make a reference to your external IP-address in the official DNS MX-record settings. Configure your firewall to transfer all SMTP-traffic on his outside interface to the Exchange server internally.

That should get you started.

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back