Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

out of office setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 18, 2005
US
Hi I was wondering why people outside my network are not getting out of office replies for users who have set it up.

any ideas? Thanks.

If you've turned of OOO to the Internet in the SM then they won't go.

And actually, that's not a bad thing...if you send them to the Internet you're open for spammers to phish for addresses.

The setting is in SM under the policies for your Internet Message format

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Keep in mind that if you enable OOO to the Internet, people who are subscribed to listservs and discussion lists can be automatically unsubscribed when the list receives an OOO message.

OOO to the Internet is NOT a good thing.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

I agree with 58sniper. OoO to the Net is not a good thing because it broadens your attack plane for spammers. Those jerks can then launch One-Off attacks and when an email is requested to a large block of addresses and a couple of OoO's come back, you know it is a valid email address. And some admins wonder why their servers get spammed...

And, it can cause mail loops, which can bring your server to its knees in minutes.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back