Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Out of Office and all rules are not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

kahmelion

MIS
Jan 3, 2001
US
A user calls me up and say that none of her rules that she created in outlook are not working. I check to see if the rule was turned on and it was. The only time the rule works is when I click the "RUN NOW" button. Other wise it will not work. With in a few minutes a get another call from a user that said the "Out of office assistant" is not working. I rebooted the mail server and this problem still persists not to just these to users but for all users.... HELP....

Rules are a pain in the neck.

However, there is a known fix but it has its down side.

CleanSweep, a client-side utility that works with Outlook, can reset permissions, other folder attributes, and rules--including haywire Out Of Office ones.

CleanSweep is part of the Microsoft BackOffice Resource Kit (BORK). If you're interested in giving it a try, here's how to install it:

Copy the clnswp32.dll to your system32 directory.
Open regedt32.exe and go to the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Exchange\Client
\Extensions.
Click on the Edit menu and select Add Value. Add the value CLNSWP (REG_SZ) with a string of 4.0;drive:\path\CLNSWP32.DLL;2, where drive:\path indicate where you copied the clnswp32.dll file (typically c:\winnt\system32\).
Open Outlook. On the Tools menu, you should now see an option called Clean Sweep.

To use CleanSweep:

Select the folder you wish to work on (for Out Of Office problems, select the Inbox).
Go to the Tools menu and select Clean Sweep. A dialog box with several choices will pop up. Select the items you want to clear out, then click OK.

CleanSweep can fix more than just rules. It also clears permissions, forms, and views. Remember that when you use CleanSweep to clear these attributes, everything gets cleared--both good and bad.

Let me know how you get on

Rathcoffey
'A world without donuts is like a donut without a hole.......wait that would mean more donut! I'm a Genius' Homer Simpson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back