Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Out of Memory error caused by vanishing control

Status
Not open for further replies.

tedsmith

Programmer
Nov 23, 2000
AU
Yesterday I updated my shockwave used in my browser in the usual way after the usual "invitation" to do so.

I am currently working on a little app that uses the old Flash.ocx (file dated 2004) on 2 of its 5 forms.
When I went to test it in the IDE today it gave an "Out of Memory" error whenever I tried to edit or run either of the 2 pages than contained the ShockwaveFlash controls. The error log generated said the shockwaveflash control was missing which was the case.

On examining Components it said it was there OK and the 2004 date of Flash.ocx had not changed.
I could see there were other new Adobe files in the same folder - the ones created by the update.

So I reinserted the control back onto the forms and all was OK.

Anybody got any ideas why the controls just vanished from the form or why the IDE gave an "out of memory" error instead of some sort of "missing control" error?

Is there perhaps a newer version of Flash.ocx available anyway and if so where would I get it from?

Did you check the entry for the Flash.ocx in the project's current vbp file against that in the backup you made of the broken version for any differences.

Does flash.ocx live with the executable or in system32? If it is only in one application and does not need to be installed, it should live with the executable. Executables will normally look in their own directory first before venturing to a system directory.

Does flash.ocx live with the executable or in system32? If it is only in one application and does not need to be installed, it should live with the executable. Executables will normally look in their own directory first before venturing to a system directory.

Never do this!

This is the leading cause of DLL Hell, and risks breaking other applications.

Deploying this OCX also requires a license from Adobe.

The problem did not affect the exe version of the program, only when I loaded the .vbp to add more other forms to the project.
The little shockwaveflash icon in Components was still there.
The flash.ocx has always been in the C:\Windows\System32\Macromedia\ folder.
This file is dated 2004 and has not changed since.
There is another file flash.oca that had it's date changed to a more recent date.

Whatever happened, it just removed the Shockwaveflash control from both forms without leaving an empty box like usually happens when you don't copy a new dll across to another computer.

What confused me was the error said "Out of Memory" when I loaded either of these forms which led me on a lengthy wild goose chase trying to find what I had added to the other forms might have used up the memory.

Removing and reinserting it in components and reinserting it into the form fixed this error - I just wondered why and would like to warn others to look out for this possibility if they get the same error?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back