Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Out of Memory Error 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

MnM

Programmer
Nov 1, 2000
US
I've reasearched this problem throughout this forum and have found that most people say it has to do with the number of controls on a form. My question is this, I have this program I wrote in VB6 and the .exe is located on our server. 5 different people have shortcuts on their desktop to this program, 4 of the people can use it just fine the 5th person can start the program but at the frmThis.Show it brings up the Out of Memory error 7 error. I do not understand why it works on everyone elses PC but his. I would think if it had to do with the number of controls it would bomb on everyones PC. Has anyone else ran into this issue and how can it be resolved? Please Help.

Is there a big RAM difference between the machines? If you choose to battle wits with the witless be prepared to lose.

[cheers]

I'm guessing this isn't the problem because one of the computers that the program works on has 128M of RAM and the one it doesn't has 256M of RAM. Any ideas?

The "Out Of Memory" error can sometimes occur when you have plenty of memory but some Visual Basic operation has failed for reasons it can't figure out.

Make sure that correct versions of all files required by the application are installed and registered.

Making sure correct versions of all files required will be my next step in trying to figure this out then. There's only 30 more minutes of work for today and I don't come in again until Tuesday. So if anyone else has any ideas please post them and I'll be checking on this thread on Tuesday. Thanks for all your help so far everybody.!

Check screen resolution of the users computer and see if it is less than the design computer. I once ran across this problem because I designed a program at full screen at 800x600 and then tried to run it on another computer that was set at 640x480. I then changed the resolution and it worked.

Good Luck

Okay I'm going CRAZY. Checked the files, they seem to be the same as atleast one other person who can use the program. Resolution is fine too. Any other ideas?!!

Check the memory management of the destination machines, in particular the page file sizes. If not large enough and you declare a large array of whatever (mostly strings) you may be running out of stack space but since you app is not fully loaded you are getting the memory error. After that I have no idea.

Good Luck

I changed the virtual memory and it still didn't work. Is there anything else to do? This thing is stressing me out. Anyone? Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back