Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

out door cabling

Status
Not open for further replies.

LDaveM

Vendor
Feb 12, 2002
US
I have to run cat5 outdoors, next to some telephone lines. Is there any electrical interference that may screw up the cat5 signals?. Also, what type of cable should I use?
Thanks,
Dave

Hi Dave!

It will seem that I am harping on an old theme, but how sure are you that you don't care that copper wire conducts lightning and high voltage?

Fiber optic cable is the right way to connect buildings. I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Where are you running it, on the outside of a home? If you're running it near voice lines, they will cause no problem. As far as cable type, how protected from the elements will it be? If it is to interconnect buildings, copper is not that good as stated above. Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

Are you connecting buildings, or just routing on the outside of the building? Will the cable go "free-air" or be attached to a support member? What distance are you trying to span? What is the environment like where the cable will be routed? There are many things to consider before you route the cable or decide on what type to use. Fill me in and I'll try to help you out.

Thanks all. I am connecting two buildings, a run of about 60 feet in the air between the two buildings.

No problem with telephone lines.
The only problem could be voltage transients that could damage some equipment. To this you could use a pair if TVSSs in each end of the line. Also, if you want to make it professioanly you should run the cat. 5 wire inside a GreenField (this is a flxible metalic conduit covered with a plastic coat); the 1/2" greenField will be ok. I suggest you to use two junction boxes for terminations (one at each end) with the proper GreenField Connectors, and Ground only one Extreme (in the end not grounded localy you shoud use a plastic box.

Regards,

Jose P. Mir
jpm@jpmir.net

I agree with all above posts and you should also get an exterior rated cable. Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

I agree that fiber is the best way to go. However, if you do decide to use Cat 5 outdoors - Make sure you use cable that is rated for use outdoors. And you should install Cat rated protectors on both ends of the cable ITW LINX makes 4 pair Cat 5 protector modules. Keep in mind that if you purchace and install all of the proper components for Cat 5 - It will probably be cheaper and less hassle to install fiber.

GreenField is a trade term for flexable metalic conduit. Liquidtight is flexable metalic conduit with a waterproof covering. Neither are suitable for aerial installation.

For a 60' aerial run you will need either a cable with a integrated messenger (support) wire, tie the cable to a messenger or find some of the new kevlar cables.

Any cable you use needs to be rated for outdoor and UV exposure. For the cat5 cable it will have a nasty goo inside to keep out water. Standard cat5 deteriorates quickly if exposed to the elements. I have seen some where the jacket and wire insulation were completely gone.

Fiber is THE way to go. Check prices on eBay I bet you could get everything you need for less than $100 if you ask some of the vendors nicely. Fiber WILL be cheaper in the long run.

Unless you are equipped to deal with the fiber (fiber trancievers, fiber NICs or fiber switches) I would weigh the costs carefully. Cat5 filled is available for 20 cents a foot, terminate it on a modular jack, add two protectors, two patch cables and you are on line.

The fiber solution involves getting fiber, preterminated to length, and converting it on each end to whatever you were using for the cat5 (copper).

I'd love to sell you either one, but if you are on a budget, the outdoor rated Cat5 is the way to go.
Daron J. Wilson
Telecom Manager
LH Morris Electric, Inc.
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

Fiber tranceivers (10M) are available on eBay for under $10 each.

Preterminated cable is also available. So what if it is too long...

The above are examples and may not be suitable for your application. However after if you watch you will find exactly what you need or a seller who will be able to set you up with the proper cable.

I stick with my assertion that you could use fiber for under $100. The lack of a ground path will save you money in the long run.

Yep I just got 10 Meg copper to fiber repeaters off ebay, $28 including shipping for 2 I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

While fiber is a better way to go in many cases, the original question was what kind of cable to run for Cat5 between buildings and if it would receive interference from phone lines.

The ebay equipment is a good idea if you want to save money, however if you are supplying services to a customer, I dont know that they would wait for you to score just the right used equipment on ebay. Generally, my customers want current equipment that I will warranty, and a timely install. The ebay links are for reference only, but they show indoor single mode fiber with SC connectors, multimode trancievers at 10mbs with ST connectors, etc. In short, they are not compatible. While they are an example, it seems more appropriate to give examples of equipment that will actually work together to meet the need.

If you want to do fiber, use outdoor rated product. I suggest transcievers that run at 10/100 mbs or 100 mbs trancievers unless you are running a simple 10mbs network and that is all you need.

Choice depends on so many factors; cost, who's paying for it, desired network speed, desired scalability, etc.

But, to answer the original question again...you could use an outdoor rated, filled Cat5 to achieve connectivity at 100mbs with no active components. You could use outdoor multimode fiber and trancievers to achieve 100 mbs and greater. Neither installation should pose any interference problems.

Good Luck Daron J. Wilson
Telecom Manager
LH Morris Electric, Inc.
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

I agree with Daron with regards to Ebay equipment. I would never base my costs on something found there. But fiber transceivers are alot less expensive than you might think. I would have the fiber installed by profesionals (Same with the copper for that matter). I do not like the idea of preterminated cables that run outdoors. (Actually I shouldn't say that as I have been called manty times to repair connectors on pre-terminated, user installed, fiber optic cables.) Outdoor fiber cables with a built in messenger (Messenger is a cable attached to the fiber cable that supports the fiber when run aerially), is easy to get and install. And the termination process is simple and not too expensive.

Cat 5 cable would work. But you need to install an outdoor rated cable. You will need to install aerial support for the cable. (I do not think there is a Cat 5 outdoor cable with built in messenger available). Then you should install Cat 5 rated protectors. The only Cat5 rated protectors that I am aware of will protect 4 pairs. One protector will be required on each end of the cable. So, each circuit will require two protectors. These protectors are not cheap. And access to ground will be required at each protector location. The protectors will not filter any noise But will protect the end devices from lightning which will very likely find your Cat5, copper, aerial cable.

If this is to be a permanent installation, spend a couple of bucks and go with the fiber solution.... I know you will be better off in the long run. If you feel lucky.... go ahead and slap some cat 5 cable without protection. And hope for the best.

Most of the above posts are accurate. However, there is some further information regarding the protection issue for Cat5 cable. First, you would need at least some form of PRIMARY protection, which falls under the UL 497 standard for personnel. There is some porduct in the market which complies, check with Porta Systems. If you would like further protection, it would fall under the category of SECONDARY protection and would be appropriate for covering the equipment itself. Another factor is overall distance between all cable should be less than 300 feet. Finally, the cable needs to be properly attached to the building, as stated above, using a messenger and appropriate clamps. This whole process is somthing that really should be done by someone who has some experience. Fiber is clearly the best choice if possible.

Randy

You can purchase CAT 5 that is pic filled and shielded, suitable for direct burial and overhead applications. termiate both ends with a sutable protector be sure to ground the protector which should ground the shield. This will reduce interference and protect against electrical discharge. If you have a direct lightning strike to your building you will loose everything any ways.

What if you wanted to run cat5 cable from a basement to the top floor in a building for about 20 feet, what would be the right route to proceed?

I am looking for a supplier for UV/Outdoor rated Cat 5 cable.
Can anyone point me to a supplier for a 500' or 1000' roll/box.

What about Wireless? Would that be an alternate solution or do you require higher bandwidth?

I'm not big on Wireless, but thought it could be used at least in one place (isdn->network?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back