Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OU's - Rename or create new?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcse924

MIS
Feb 14, 2002
US
I have some departmental changes that need to be made in my OU tree and I'm wondering what is the best way (aka MS best practice) to accomplish this.

Domain (Def. Dom. Policy)
MyCurrentOU
NewComputersOU (long established OU, with GPO link)
UsersOU (with GPO link)

to

Domain
MyCurrentOU
ComputersOU (rename or create new?)
A_ComputersOU (new)
B_ComputersOU (new)
UsersOU
A_UsersOU
B_UsersOU

I am not sure if I should start by renaming the NewComputersOU to A_ComputersOU, or create a new OU (A_ComputersOU) and move the applicable computers into that one.

All help is much appreciated!

Carpe diem, procrastination is the thief of time...

I would just rename the OU. I don't see why you would want to delete it and then rebuild it.

Steven S.
MCSA
A+, Network+, Server+, i-Net+

Do you know this from experience??

My concern is GUID corruption. I may be overly cautious.
I just want to be 100% sure a rename won't screw things up, especially since I am setting permissions via GPOs.

Anyone? Bueller?

mlichstein is correct renaming an object in AD does not effect the GUID at all. I have renamed OUs plenty of times with no ill effects.

I had this happen with a GPO that I renamed, which is why I'm gun-shy now. I don't know why or how it happened, but I renamed a GPO and things went askew. I could not confirm it, but reading various newsgroups and message boards, I dsicovered that GUID corruption CAN happen, so this is what I concluded. AD is a tricky beast, don't let it fool you, sometimes "simple" changes only appear so.

Anyhow, thanks for the input from all, it is much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back