Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OU's and multiple users between them.... 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

danomac

IS-IT--Management
Aug 2, 2002
AM
Well, I have set up our organizations using Group Policies and OUs. An OU was created for each department, users placed in them, and a security policy and group policy applied in each OU. Access through the network, authentication, scripts, etc are all working fine, but there are a couple of users that typically belong in two departments, and of course the scripts are different between the two. The scripts don't clash with each other, as I have kept the drive mappings distinct for each share, so there are no collisions.

I can't seem to create an alias in the second OU so that it knows that this is the same user.
All I'm trying to do is get one user into two OUs. I'm stuck.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Daniel.

may be it's appropriate to create anothe OU with the name SpecialUsers and put them there? It will easy your life.

Victor K
psas@canada.com
MCSE+I;MCSA;MCSE(w2k);CNE(5.1);MCNE(6);CIWSP;CIWSA.

Bad news first. A user can not belong to two OUs.

Good news. For the user that you want to have both group policies applied to, this is what you need to do. From that user's OU, link the group policy from the other OU to his OU. This will cause both GPOs to get applied to that users OU. Now, to keep it from getting applied to all the other users in that OU, you need to open up the properties sheet for the GPO that you linked to, click on the security tab, and deny permission to read and apply group policy to everyone but that one user. This is called filtering.

This will accomplish your goals. Good luck.

--Roger

Roger,

Thanks, works like a charm. Now this issue won't be a big one. It was confusing me to no end.

Daniel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back