Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Our modem (Dynalink V1456VQE) on ou

Status
Not open for further replies.

siers

IS-IT--Management
Aug 20, 2001
AU
Our modem (Dynalink V1456VQE) on our Slackware 8 Linux server with a dedicated connection to Telstra Pig Pond Direct, always decides to disconnect when the connection time reaches 1092.2 minutes (according to the modem, it's caused by a retrain failure) and I'm stuffed to know why. The account is a permanent connection, so there is no idle time or maximum connection time, there is no call waiting and there are no other phones/appliances on that telephone line.
I have tried two different modems (a Genius GM52flexE-V as well) and they both do it. Any suggestions?

just another thing to add, is that just before submitting this post, the modem was due for disconnect, and about 1 minute before it did, the Carrier Detect light went off for about 3 seconds, then back on, but the modem still transferred data till it disconnected.

G'day,

Both the modems you mentioned just seem to be 56K analogue modems and although the connection is ostensibly 'dedicated', according to you would still need to dial-out to a pop. This makes me wonder if it's telstra timing you out of the connection after a fixed period. I'm not saying that is the case, but there are certainly ISPs in Europe that do this kind of thing so it might be worth checking with them first.

One interesting bit of maths I noted :

2 to the power of 16 = 65536 (64K)
65536 / 60 (mins or secs) = 1092.266666 .
Looks like a limit somewhere - question is where ?

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back