Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oultook Rules Missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanak

IS-IT--Management
Dec 5, 2008
Odd error just showed up for one of my clients. The client had multiple rules within Outlook. They have been working for months now. the client suddenly noticed that some emails were not being moved to the proper folders today. The client whent to check the Outlook rules to ensure they were correct, and all of the rules are now missing.
They were working this morning, and they suddenly vanished. This particular does understand how to work with Outlook rules, and I had previously confirmed (a couple months ago) that they were fully available and operational.

2 questions.

1. how could this happen without user interaction (i don't think it can)?
2. how can i recover them?

Thank you,
Ryan

Outlook rules are stored in .rwz files. If those are delete, no more rules. Possibly a file recovery tool like PCInspector

>Outlook rules are stored in .rwz files

Not since Outlook 2000. Outlook 2002 and later store the rules in a hidden message named Outlook Message Manager on the Exchange Server.

(er, or the PST, if Outlook is not working against an Exchange Server)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back