Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oubound SMTP setting with Comcast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2007
US
I have a domain set up with e-mail "mydomain.com"

When Comcast doesn't allow sending e-mail on their network and you set things up the following way per their document

Do you put in your Comcast user name and password or is that your user name and password associated with the myemail@mydomain.com account.

I just haven't done this for so long.

I believe that is only if you are using your user@comcast.net email account in Outlook. Unless they have changed things or it is different in your area, I never used anything other than my own domain SMTP server. mail.mydomain.net and then in additional settings I told it to use the same login as the incoming server.
Now that I am with Cox I have to use their SMTP server without any log in for sending.

Richard S. Anderson, RCDD

If it is the case that you must use their SMTP server, you would use your login for comcast, not for your email. Their server would not know your login information.

Richard S. Anderson, RCDD

Makes sense, I guess you wouldn't have one setting in outbound server and then another one in the authentication section.

The symptom is that Outbound mail won't go out using myserver.mydomain.com so I was going to try the comcast server on port 587

Haven't tried yet - this is a customer account. I'm just getting ready to tackle the issue.

Outbound server setting is smtp.comcast.net with your Comcast user name and password and using port 587.

Bypasses any port 25 blocking issue if that's what Comcast (or another ISP) has done.

Allows sending from your domain via their servers and everybody is happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back