Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OU design in AD

Status
Not open for further replies.

skerrigan

MIS
Jul 5, 2002
US
I am part of the planning team for an Active Directory migration for windows NT 4.0 domain to a windows 200 AD domain . When discussing OU design , does Microsoft have any "best" practices on how to design OU's ( ie base the OU around Geography , or department then geography )

ou by department... sites by geography... keep it as simple as possible to keep adin time/costs low... JTB
Solutions Architect
MCSE-NT4, MCP+I, MCP-W2K, CCNA, CCDA,
CTE, MCIWD, i-Net+, Network+
(MCSA, MCSE-W2K, MCIWA, SCSA, SCNA in progress)

I don't think they do. Generally, the less OU's you have, the easier it will be to manage in the future. The best idea is just to logically structure the OU's around your company. Try thinking ahead to when you'd want to impliment GPO's too. Darrell Mozingo
MCP (soon MCSA), A+, Network+, i-Net+, MOUS Master

The unique problem that I have is the company is seperated into multiple seprate divisions ( comapnies ) which share geographical space in some places . So to design by division means I would have users in a top level OU , but in different sites . If I stuck to sites I have the reverse problem . Is this just an admin's preference ?

How about best practices for a non-profit ? Other staff members here have more working experience with NT40 and keep wanting to address objects into groups!

I guess they are trying to bend Win2k into the frame of refernce they have namely NT40.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back