Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OSPF Routing/IP Address Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iota

MIS
Sep 12, 2001
US

All of the examples I've seen for setting up OSPF, show the Serial Interfaces (In a Hub-Spoke topology) in the same subnet, usually a Class C. Is this the only recommended method?

Our current network has sites running off of the 10.x network starting with 10.1.0.0 and each site is divided into a class C. I'm not connecting the sites together via Point-to-point T1s back to a core router and wanted to subnet the 10.0.0.0 into a /252 address between Serial Interfaces. The 10.1.x.x is on the ethernet interfaces

i.e.
Core Router s0/0 is 10.0.0.5/252 and the Serial on the remote router is 10.0.0.6/252

Core Router s0/1 is 10.0.0.9/252 and the Serial on the remote router is 10.0.0.10/252

etc...

The idea is to keep broadcast traffic down since some of these remote sites are across expensive (interstate) T1s and eventually there will be many T1s online.

Is this the right approach ?

Thanks.

Iota

This is OK, but you may end up with loads of /252 subnets in your routing table. Depends on how many links your planning, but route summarisation can control this.

Like all things in IT it really depends on a lot of variable factors, but your basic principal is sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back