Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ospf LSA's knowledge for ccnp

Status
Not open for further replies.

netman42

IS-IT--Management
Oct 1, 2003
US
Does anyone know of a simpler definition of all the link state advertisements type 1-7 so that it can stand out in your mind more clearly. I seem to have problems knowing exactly what they do so therefore I confuse some of them at times.

i had the same problem with the LSA types when i got my CCNP. I just wrote them down on a note card and carried them with me all the time to memorize them.

and know i have forgotten them again. go figure. hehe

anyways, you will need to know them by heart for the exam though

here is the little i remember

LSA 1= (Router Link entry, shown in route table as 'O')flooded within a single area

LSA 2= (Network Link Entry,shown in route table as 'O')Generated br DRs in multi-access systems, that describes the set of routers attached to a particular network.

LSA 3 and 4= (Summary link entry, shown in route table as 'O IA')Originated by ABRs. These entries are flooded throughout the backbone area to the other ABRs.

LSA 5= (AS external entry, shown in route table as 'O E1 – ospf ext. type 1' and 'O E2 – ospf ext. type 2')Originated by ASBRs. Describes routes to destinations external to the AS. Flooded throughout the AS except Stub areas.

LSA 7= (Not-so-stubby area, shown in route table as 'O N1 = ospf NSSA ext. type 1' and 'O N2 = ospf NSSA ext. type 2')Originated by ASBR in a NSSA. Flooded within a NSSA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back