Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

oslevel problem after aix 4.3.3 update

Status
Not open for further replies.

wab62

MIS
Mar 28, 2002
US
Used smit update_all to upgrade from 4.3.1 to 4.3.3 modification level. Output from oslevel is still: 4.3.1

lslpp -l shows most filesets to be at least 4.3.3.0 or newer. Anybody know what could be wrong? Thanks.

wab62

You probably have at least one OS fileset that didn't upgrade. There was a problem a couple of years ago with the AIX installation disks that didn't have the 4.3.3 fileset for the licensing program (if I remember correctly). Because of that single fileset, OS level showed as 4.3.2.

Do a complete listing (lslpp -l) and direct it to a file to see which fileset(s) are still at the older level. Maintenance patches may solve the problem. Or you may have to pull the individual filesets off IBM's web site.

Hi, If you enter "oslevel -l 4.3.3", the command will return which filesets are not up to that version.

Brian

Most common reasons from 4.3.1 to 4.3.3

oslevel may not indicate 4.3.3.0

The oslevel command may not correctly output 4.3.3.0 on systems
installed or updated from the AIX
4.3.3 product media for the following reasons.

The level of the ifor_ls.compat.cli fileset on the AIX product media is
at the 4.3.2.0 level. This problem can be corrected by installing the
ifor_ls.compat.cli 4.3.3.0 update (PTF U466561), which is available
from FixDist. This problem does not occur when updating from the 4.3.3.0
Maintenance Level.

The bos.perf.pmr fileset is down level after updating from the AIX 4.3.3
product media. This occurs only when updating AIX 4.3.0 and 4.3.1 systems,
which already have the bos.perf.pmr fileset installed. The
bos.perf.pmr fileset is obsolete in AIX 4.3.3 and should be removed.
The bos.crypto* and sysmgt.security* filesets are not included in the AIX
4.3.3.0 Maintenance Level since they contain encryption code that is
subject to export restrictions. Updates to these filesets are
available only on the AIX 4.3.3 Bonus Pack that is shipped with AIX 4.3.3.
#lppchk -v

Check out: (especially post migration section:)

This happens to me due to a missing update for Java filesets. As mentioned, 'oslevel -l 4.3.3.0' will tell you which filesets are downlevel. If it is something that you do not use (in my case, bos.twintail comes up a lot) you can just uninstall the filesets to get your desired oslevel.

Long shot: try rm'ing the oslevel cache file in /tmp and running oslevel again. Haven't had to do that in a while so it's probably fixed now, but thought I'd mention it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back