Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OS400 vrs Linux on AS400 box

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddiamond

Programmer
Apr 22, 2005
US
We are getting a new AS400 box. Any advantages/disadvantages from installing OS400 or Installing Linux on it?

Well, you can certainly put a Linux partition on it, but OS/400 has to be the primary partition.

Feles mala! Cur cista non uteris? Stramentum novum in ea posui!

also Linux/AIX partition on an i5 server is limited to 1 CPU I believe...

HTH,

p5wizard

p5wizard,

Our primary partition will be OS400. We are planning on a second partition which will either be OS400 or Linux. You indicated that Linux could only take advantage of one CPU. If we installed OS400 on the 2nd partition, would it be able to use more than one CPU?

- Dan

This is my understanding of this:

You can create as many OS400 or non-OS400 partitions as you like (or have hardware for) on an i5 server. You can create non-OS400 partitions, but the server microcode will limit the CPU allocation of any active/all AIX or LINUX partition(s).

Same goes for a p5 server (which is the same hardware as an i5 server btw) - any number of AIX/LINUX/OS400 partitions are allowed up to some builtin limit (max 10 partitions per installed CPU), but the CPU use of any OS/400 partition will be limited by the server's microcode.

HTH,

p5wizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back