Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OS400 Question about job numbers 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lkmalee

IS-IT--Management
Mar 19, 2004
US
What does OS/400 do when the job number 999999 is reached? Based on research of API's etc., I am assuming the number is not increased to 7 digits. My guess is the numbers roll over to 000000 or 000001. But, if this is the case, isn't there a very slight chance that the system will create two jobs with identical qualified names? Am I mistaken that the JOBNAME/JOBUSER/JOBNUMBER uniquely identifies a job in the system?

the job number does roll over. however, in the last 15 years, i've never seen it be an issue.

my $0.0002 worth

You will never have a problem with confilcting qualified job names (job number/user/job name) unless you don't IPL for 1,000,000 jobs. In our case, it took around 3 years to go over a million, by which time, there was no trace of the original jobs left.

De mortuis nihil nisi bonum.

Thanks, os400 & flapeyre.
You both have confirmed what I suspected. I was 98% sure that this would not be an issue, but the 2% uncertainty bugged me. Murphy's law being what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back