Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OS400 Data Transfer directly to MS Access Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

eerich

IS-IT--Management
Nov 2, 2003
US
Can anyone provide help on how to extract data from IBM's OS400 DB2 table directly into a MS ACCESS table. I know there is a Data Transfer tool in the 400 but, I'm trying to get specific information on what format should be used for the export. Most importantly, I need the data to contain the header record. Any help is most appreciated.

eerich:

1) Have an odbc connection to your DB2 data source. If you can use the IBM Client Access ODBC Driver, you will have access to DB2 functions as well as data tables. Your queries will run faster if your mdb file is close to the DB2 table (on a server on the same backplane).

2) Open MS Access, under the tables tab in the white space, right-click, select **Link** to the tables from MS Access to DB2 (importing tables is usually unnecessary).

3) Build your SQL under the query tab of this same mdb. If all you need is the header record, you could change your query to SQL view, and try something like:

SELECT top 50 * from <tablename>

Does this help?

jayhack

In attempting to import the data from the AS/400 into Access using ODBC, an error was received stating there were too many indexes. Unable to figure out a way around this. Do you know whether a link of the table in Access and then creating a make-table query to import the table could circumvent the index issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back