Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OS X boot from ext. FIrewire disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

smiazin

IS-IT--Management
Jan 18, 2002
NO
Hi!
IS it possible to boot OS X from external Firewire disk?
Have 9.2.2 on internal (just 20GB) disk and want install OS X on external (80 GB).
Thanks
sergej

Don't see why not?!?

Just change the Startup disk in control panels. If you can't fix it in 20 minutes call someone who can.

Having OS X on a separate partition or drive will also allow you to select the startup disk at bootup by holding down the Option key; you'll then be able to choose from all available startup volumes.

Could also be hardware dependent. I have a FireWire PowerBook, 500MHz (Pismo) and a couple of external FireWire drives. I tried booting from one of my external drives onto which I had cloned my current install (using CarbonCopy CLoner) and could not. The external drive showed up in "Startup Disk" but I could not boot from it. "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." Calvin (Bill Watterson)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back