Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OS X Address Book and LDAP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManagerJay

IS-IT--Management
Jul 24, 2000
US
I am trying to use the Address Book to query my Active Directory server to retrieve e-mail addresses for all of the users in the domain.

Following are the settings I am using.

Server mo-hq-s1.mo.loc (this name is resolveable via internal DNS)
Search base dc=mo,dc=loc
Port 389
Scope Subtree

After entering this information and trying to search on my last name (Hall), nothing is found. The same thing happens whether authentication is used or not.

I am able to telnet to the server or port 389, and I do receive a response.

Are error messages generated when trying to connect logged anwhere? And, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jay

Here are the steps we use:
Address Book
Using LDAP lookup and Exchange with Mail and Address Book

Configuring Address Book to look up emails from AD server.

Click on Address Book in the dock. Open Preferences (Address book >preferences) Click on the LDAP tab and then the plus sign in the lower left corner to add a new server. Enter the following information in the fields:

1. Name: Enter whatever you want here.
2. Server: "dc.domainname.com" without quotes using your domain controller.domainname.xxx
3. Search Base: leave this blank.
4. Port : 3268
5. DO NOT USE SSL
6. Scope: Select "Subtree"
7. For authentication select "Simple"
8. User Name: "domain\username_in_caps" fill in your username in caps where directed.
9. Password: fill in your login password.

Click "save". When that window closes make sure you also click "Auto Update LDAP Cards" in the preferences window.

Test to make sure this all worked. Go to your Address Book main window. If you closed the window go to "window" at the top of the screen and select "Address Book". On the left side of the screen you should see several options, select "Directories". Next you should see whatever you named the LDAP connection to be a few steps ago, click that. Now in the upper right corner you should see a search box. Type in a portion of someone's name, or just a letter and you will see "name" and "email" of people at domain appear in the window. Try this with people who are not in your address book locally just to be sure.

imeldesign,

That was excellent. I've looked for years for the way to connect my address book to an Exchange server without success. 60 seconds after I read your post, I was in.

w00t!

Thanks. I am able to pull the local domain information, but not any information from the GAL.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jay

I tried this and it didn't go according to plan. No errors, it just didn't seem to work.

To get it to work I used Directory Access (in Applications/Utilities) to configure Active Directory and LDAP then the directory seemed to show up in Address book.

--
Tek-Tips Forums is Member Supported. Click Here to donate

<honk>*:O)</honk>

Tyres: Mine's a pint of the black stuff.
Mike: You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

> To get it to work I used Directory Access (in Applications/Utilities) to configure Active Directory and LDAP then the directory seemed to show up in Address book.

The problem with that is it requires network administrator rights and the netadmin has to add your machine to the active directory.

This can also have side effects on laptops that frequently leave the network. I had my machine added at one point, but it caused too much pain.

If you need the steps to join with the AD I have step by step directions. Email me. My email is posted on cottagehill.org under contact. My email is next to webmaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back