Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OS X 10.5 Leopard X11 2.0 with dual monitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjoop

Programmer
Jun 9, 2001
US
I just upgraded from OS X 10.4.x with Apple's X11 1.1.3 to 10.5.1, at which time I upgraded the X11 to 2.0. I have a G5 and a MacBook Pro (Intel) with dual monitors and now I can not completely move an X11 window to the secondary monitor. My monitors are side by side. As I drag the window, when the mouse reaches the edge of the primary monitor the window's horizontal motion stops, but the mouse pointer continues on to the secondary monitor. The window will still move vertically while the mouse is within the secondary monitor, but will not move horizontally. The part of the window that does move beyond the edge of the primary monitor has no problem displaying on the secondary monitor. It does not matter which side the secondary monitor is on (using the "Arrangement tab in the Displays in the System Preferences). If the secondary monitor is above or below the primary monitor, the window will not follow the mouse onto it vertically. It seems that our dear friends at Apple have introduced a bug into the 2.0 version of X11.

On the old version of X11, this worked fine.

So, my question is how can I undo the upgrade and go back to X11 v. 1.1.3? I can not simply overwrite the new version because Apple's installer is almost as smart as MS installers and will not install over a newer version. Simply deleting the X11.app does not do the trick.

Alternatively, does anyone in the world know how to submit this to Apple, or do I have to be patient until their software engineers discover this for themselves?

Well, if you still have warranty left or AppleCare call AppleCare support @ 800-275-2273, and see if they can help you. But you could call anyway... you could try the Genius Bar at the local Apple Store...

....JIM....

The easiest way to get something noticed by Apple is to go to Apple.com and click on Support, then discussions. If you search discussions for "leopard x11" you'll see numerous posts.

You also might also wnat to make sure yuo have the latest update to 10.5

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4 & G5

Thanks SYQUEST and jmgalvin,

I did look at the discussion forum on Apple. There were two posts about this problem and no thoughts offered as to a solution. From reading the whole thread about X11 there, it seems that going back to X11 1.1.3 is not an option either.

I am running 10.5.1 and Software Update does not offer anything, so I presume that I am at the latest available.

The nearest Apple store is quite far away from me (about 100 miles).

I did find apple's feedback page at (did a search for "report bug") and sent something to Apple's bit bucket. It made me feel a little better.

As I said on Apple's discussion forum, maybe I'll re-format my hard drives and "... upgrade to an older, more familiar operating system".

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back